T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - cant consult DH as he is out of town. So I need some advise. I am looking at 3 cutters all USCutter Brands..
What cutter should I get?
1 is a Copam – professional cutter 24” wide with stand and beginner software. No optical eye Sells on ebay for 685 I can get it for 350 no waranty though and would need new blades
2 is a Laserpoint 24” with stand and beginner software. Has optical eye. Sells on ebay for around 380 with 3 month warranty
3 is a 34" no optical eye with stand and flex software.
So #1 is a professional one – heavy duty but no optical eye (says it has optical but not shown for contour cutting) no warranty #2 has the optical eye – not a professional but good quality from what I have read. #3 is bigger...
Help! What to get??? I want to buy :)

Oops - Forgot to say..
I will be using it for shirts as well as Car Decals & office window decals.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would not not a cutter with no warranty,unless I knew the person personally. I have not heard good things about the laserpoint, I actually was told by a friend that they were not built very durable. I will say that a cutter larger than 24 inch is not necessary, but if you have the space it is a decent cutter for the money. .... JB

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The laserpoint is not a true optic eye cutter. It will contour cut, but not easily. The set up time to make it contour cut is time consuming. I suggest you check out a Refine cutter from the UScutter co. This cutter is not expensive and from what I've seen it's a true work horse. As, I stated in a earlier post in another one of your threads the expensive cutters will give you great results. Good luck. .... JB

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GX-24 is the only thing I would recommend to anyone, buy the best and be done with it. :)
Know where I can get one for uder 400.00 :p
Gotta live in the real world - It is a part time business for a WAHM with 3 4 and under. $ will be saved for possable future upgrade but I am on a budget :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Flowerboxx - I asked on the website. Wish he would have told me.
Sooo, Is the refine really that much better? I heard you can do cuttings on all printers without the laser. I am not that steady with sissors so I thought the laser would be best. The website says that they have just been reviewed and received a great product review on the laser. Sigh - So confused - I have been comparing for days.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
The Gx24 is a great machine and has a very good reputation. I also realize the cost is higher than many any other products. If your wanting to start cutting vinyl , a less costly cutter will suffice. If you want a ll around cutter with a optical eye and contour cutting feature. The Roland GX 24 is the only choice. I think buying a entry level cutter makes good sense if you don't know how much you will be using it. If you find your really going to use the cutter a lot , then you can invest more money. I will say this is what I done,and I now use both cutters. ...... JB

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Oh sure guys - be politically correct - grrrr :)
OK OK OK !, Do yourself a favor buy a refine and make a bunch of money wwith it.If you decide later to buy a Roland , so be it. If I was you this is what I would do. To be honest this is what I did, but I didn't buy a refine( I would have had it been on the market). ..... JB

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK OK OK !, Do yourself a favor buy a refine and make a bunch of money wwith it.If you decide later to buy a Roland , so be it. If I was you this is what I would do. To be honest this is what I did, but I didn't buy a refine( I would have had it been on the market). ..... JB
LOL THANK YOU!! About time :) Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I have a refine. It works good. Ocassionally goes beserk but not often. Its my first cutter.
If I could get the used Copam for 350 I would. Go to the uscutter site and look at the cost of parts. Probably not to much if something went in it.
The copam is suppose to be the workhorses of the copam and refine series. Refine is more of a lowend entry machine.
If you do big cut jobs the refine will def need the memory upgrade. I did a dragon and keep stopping while cutting due to memory shortage. But Uscutter has been out of the memory.
Also the refine does one thing that I hate and thats everytime you turn it off it loses its speed and force settings. Well not quite true. Couple of times when I turned it back on it was set. But most of the time the settings are gone. And I went to cut and as I sat there and watched it I realized the darn thing wasn't actually cutting cuz there was 0 force.
Not sure about other cutters but when I cut part of the roll out and go back and use it if I am not there to help the cut out part go back and forth the roll catches on the lip were the ruler is on the backside and will jam the cutter. Makes a hellish racket when the vinly gets caught.
And sometimes the cutter and computer/program won't talk and I have to shut down both and reboot to get them to talk. But overall extremely happy with the purchase.
(Its about 8 months old now)
I am a light user but am satisifed with the USCUTTER MH-721. For the money I don't think it can be beat.
The uscutter forum has been good for support and Ken has helped several times. And quickly too.

I bought a craft robo ce20-200 to do my contour cutting.
That was a [email protected]$$#^ waste of money. I can't get that thing to cut butter.

For the laserpoint read the UScutter forum. They had issues when they first came out. I think most have been resolved but you can find out there.

Oh and stay away from the USB connection. Go with either the serial or parallel. I had nothing but nightmares with the usb. Once I went with the parallel its been great.

Good Luck
Mark

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree if your doing it as a hobby or part time, buy a inexpensive cutter. After you start making money upgrade to a better cutter or if you like the one you have and it hasn't given you problems buy a second one like theflowerboxx to have as a back up and now you have 2 cutters and (still cheaper than the Roland)to start playing around with. Goodluck on your purchase.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a refine. It works good. Ocassionally goes beserk but not often. Its my first cutter.
If I could get the used Copam for 350 I would. Go to the uscutter site and look at the cost of parts. Probably not to much if something went in it.
The copam is suppose to be the workhorses of the copam and refine series. Refine is more of a lowend entry machine.
If you do big cut jobs the refine will def need the memory upgrade. I did a dragon and keep stopping while cutting due to memory shortage. But Uscutter has been out of the memory.
Also the refine does one thing that I hate and thats everytime you turn it off it loses its speed and force settings. Well not quite true. Couple of times when I turned it back on it was set. But most of the time the settings are gone. And I went to cut and as I sat there and watched it I realized the darn thing wasn't actually cutting cuz there was 0 force.
Not sure about other cutters but when I cut part of the roll out and go back and use it if I am not there to help the cut out part go back and forth the roll catches on the lip were the ruler is on the backside and will jam the cutter. Makes a hellish racket when the vinly gets caught.
And sometimes the cutter and computer/program won't talk and I have to shut down both and reboot to get them to talk. But overall extremely happy with the purchase.
(Its about 8 months old now)
I am a light user but am satisifed with the USCUTTER MH-721. For the money I don't think it can be beat.
The uscutter forum has been good for support and Ken has helped several times. And quickly too.

I bought a craft robo ce20-200 to do my contour cutting.
That was a [email protected]$$#^ waste of money. I can't get that thing to cut butter.

For the laserpoint read the UScutter forum. They had issues when they first came out. I think most have been resolved but you can find out there.

Oh and stay away from the USB connection. Go with either the serial or parallel. I had nothing but nightmares with the usb. Once I went with the parallel its been great.

Good Luck
Mark
Thank you so much for your honest imput. I love hearing the good and bad. I think for the price the copam is great just wondering if I really need the countour cutting. I am thinking if I need to reset the cutter each time I cut I may be better off sitting in front of the TV with an exacto knife :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I agree if your doing it as a hobby or part time, buy a inexpensive cutter. After you start making money upgrade to a better cutter or if you like the one you have and it hasn't given you problems buy a second one like theflowerboxx to have as a back up and now you have 2 cutters and (still cheaper than the Roland)to start playing around with. Goodluck on your purchase.
ssssshhhh......I've got less then $500.00 in 2 cutters and I can cut ANYTHING I have had to with them, including contour cutting ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts