T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need some help. I have been doing just fine for years now just using this exposure unit: Screen Exposure Stand
however when I try to expose more "finer" detailed designs I do come Into problems but I'm not sure If its this unit or being that I am using a 110 Mesh? I am considering upgrading my exposure unit if need be but don't want to shell out $400. plus If my problem is simply a higher mesh count or perhaps a different emulsion as I currently use QX1. Any help and or advice Is greatly appreciated.

FYI, I mostly print all my own 1 color designs for resale but on occasion I will print friends or families tshirt orders If they are Indeed 1 color.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Your single point(halogenlight) will give you sharper edges. best is a vacuum unit and new florescent units start out about $1000 and single point metal halide are much more. You can build a florescent unit for under $200 with unfiltered black lights ballast, wood, a timmer. This will shorten your exposure time but then under cutting may become a issue. I have a Black light unit no vacuum just a foam pad and weight and I expose halftones and fine detail with no problem. goto the screen print section and the show your work. There are a few prints I did all with a floro exposure unit. your 110 mesh will hold some detail but depending on artwork you may want to seek 156,230 and for ultra fine 305

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I have done pretty well with just the 500 Watt Exposure Unit, actually alot better then i thought I would. It's mainly when I try and get 2 smaller designs out of One 20x24" screen. I have been able to do this most times I want to but you can't adjust the height of the light so sometimes the smaller details are harder to wash out and when they do the outer edges get soft and eventually rinse away.

Can't see dropping $500. plus for a unit that will give me the same results as I get now. Maybe a higher mesh count will suffice?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I used a 500 watt halogen when I started 3 years ago,,,I got the setup from Ryonet..the light was 16 inches from the screen...on 20 x 24 inch screens..I then bought 23 x 31 inch screens and tried to burn a image bigger than the light would expose...so with 3 weeks of trial and error I figured out that the light source needed to be higher so the uv light would expose the edges just as much as the center. so I took the diagonal of the screen and raise the light that much...and it work perfectly.

get some pvc pipe and cut them to the length you need to raise the light.

Inked

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The size of your image dictates how far with a halogen and raising the light will increase exposure time. It's 2x your image area to the height. That is a guide and only testing with your equipment. When I used halogen I figured my largest image area set the light at that point. That way I didn't need to keep different times for the height.

2 lights does work but you loose your single point but still better than a open face florescent unit. The only way they are better is when you add vacuum.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Recently ran Into a problem with SawToothing at 17mins so went down to 15mins then 12mins and I am actually still seeing a problem. Might have to try 10mins the next exposure. What times were you at when using the 500 halogen Inked?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look for used 40-1K Nuarc units. They are single point lights with Mercury bulbs. You can get them for a few hundred $. I paid mine $400 delivered.
I expose screens coated with Chromaline ChromaBlue emulsion at roughly 1.5 - 2 minutes each.
They hold perfect details and washout great.
I'll keep an eye out for that. I don't mind paying the money as long as the unit is worth it and does a great job.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used a 500 watt halogen when I started 3 years ago,,,I got the setup from Ryonet..the light was 16 inches from the screen...on 20 x 24 inch screens..I then bought 23 x 31 inch screens and tried to burn a image bigger than the light would expose...so with 3 weeks of trial and error I figured out that the light source needed to be higher so the uv light would expose the edges just as much as the center. so I took the diagonal of the screen and raise the light that much...and it work perfectly.

get some pvc pipe and cut them to the length you need to raise the light.

Inked
Inked, what were your exposure times? Btw, I use Ulano qx1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.