T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a small pack of Rfilm from Ryonet that is meant for ink jet printers like mine (pixma ip1700). I tested it out only to find the prints hardly come close to opaque. I tried tripple layering them and they still don't turn out. any suggestions?

Also, I am thinking about getting an epson 1800 soon and i wanted to know if anyone could give me some feed back from a screen printers point of view. Do the prints turn out opaque without buying any new software?

thanks

· Registered
344 Posts
Hello,

In response to your current printer, have you changed your settings to lay down the most ink? The printer doesn't know what you're printing so it's going to print with it's standard settings. Most Epson printers have a "Ink Jet Back Light Film" setting made for transparencies. I would check around in your printers settings to see if there are any transparency settings. Also, increase your dpi to the highest it allows, as that will lay down the most ink. You should NEVER need to double or triple layer ink-jet positives unless you've got bad film and worse ink.

As far as the Epson R1800 goes, it's a great printer but it's been replaced with another model the R1900. They sell for about the same price. Just so you're aware, there is a difference between what inks your printer uses and what film you can use. The Epson uses Pigment based inks, which means you can only use waterproof film. You can buy dye based ink for the R1800 (and probably the R1900 now) from US Screen "Fast INK" and a few other brands offer their own dye based ink, but that will allow you to use non-waterproof (less expensive film) in your printer.

Personally I think dye based film isn't that great. I've always used waterproof ink-jet film with dye based ink in my Epson 3000 and never have ever had an issue shooting a screen. Unfortunately they no longer make the 3000 either, but if you could find a used one on craigslist or eBay I would get it. It's 16.5" wide printing and the R1800/R1900 is max 13x19 sheets.

As far as prints being opaque without software, that comes down to your knowledge of graphic software. I do not use a RIP for my epson 3000 and have printed multiple halftones and four color process jobs. If you can learn the "ins and outs" of your printer settings as well as how to properly adjust artwork, you shouldn't need the RIP.

RIP software is really only necessary (in my opinion) if you are doing that many halftones that you can't take the time to tweak the artwork. For standard 1-4 color jobs (not halftones) you probably won't need the RIP.

Just my two cents, hopefully this helps you out. Check your printer settings on the Canon before you invest in a more expensive printer you might not need.

· Premium Member
4,310 Posts
I just bought a small pack of Rfilm from Ryonet that is meant for ink jet printers like mine (pixma ip1700). I tested it out only to find the prints hardly come close to opaque. I tried tripple layering them and they still don't turn out. any suggestions?

Also, I am thinking about getting an epson 1800 soon and i wanted to know if anyone could give me some feed back from a screen printers point of view. Do the prints turn out opaque without buying any new software?

thanks
The R1800 is a better option than the R1900. The R1900 is tougher to get third party cartridges to work properly if you choose to go that route. The basic difference between the 1900 and 1800 is ink and cartridges, outside of that, they are pretty much the same machine.

To get a good dense print without a RIP, you would need to use a matte setting and increase your ink limits for the black ink. There are people doing this with good success, but it will take some playing around to get it right. Your image won't be as crisp without the RIP, but you should get good density and films that work.

**UPDATED**

I just tested printing on an R1800 with no RIP using Premium Presentation Paper Matte on a waterproof film with no setting changes and it came out really good. ;)

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome everyone. Thanks for the feedback. I have been trying to mess with the printer a little bit but the only things i could find that are remotely similar to transparencies are "photo paper plus gloss" and "photo paper glossy". I will try messing around with the dpi and see what happens. I hope it works out but i think i am going to end up getting a new one anyway. I really am sick of sticking 8.5x11's together to get a large image. Just too much hassle and results are lacking. I will have to keep an eye out on craigslist for a 3000 though. Thanks for all the info again!

Also, adawg - you said that the 3000 is capable of printing 16.5 inches wide... Is there a place to get film that large? I just started looking into doing the printing at home instead of kinkos so sorry about all the questions.

Thanks again everyone!

· Registered
344 Posts
Yeah, as Locklear said above, there are places to get film.

US Screen has Fast Positive, Commercial Screen Supply (my supplier on the east coast) has their own waterproof film in 17" wide rolls and 13 x 18 sheets (and smaller sizes), I think ryonet (west coast) has his own film, Ulano makes a really nice non-waterproof and waterproof film, and there are a bunch of other companies that sells films that large too.

I wouldn't recommend buying transparency sheets from kinkos or staples. It's one of those things where I know people that have had it work, and others that haven't. But it's your printer so the choice is up to you.

· Registered
98 Posts
Try the HP9800, do a search on screenprinters.net, you will find alot of information there for this printer and the proper film to use. Its less expensive and more reliable than the epsons. If you get to a point where you are needing halftones try the GS its free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.