T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a small screen printing and embroidery shop in Colorado. We started as an apparel company selling colorado themed shirts and we're called Colorado Lifestyle Apparel.

But we're changing course to do local screen printing and dropping the clothing line. So we are considering changing names.

Do you like any of these?
Which do you like best?

Rocky Mountain Threads
Fabrik : Screen printing and embroidery
Topo Apparel (my last names Topo)
Colorado Lifestyle Apparel
Lone Pine Apparel
Burnski Designs
Choice City Apparel
Fort Promo: Promote Yourself!
Neighborhood Prints - "Your Friendly Neighborhood Print Shop"

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burnski is my wife's and my name combined. Kinda cool.

I really like Topo Apparel
(there is a clothing brand called Topo Designs that has stores all over Colorado - wondering if that could cause confusion and make me hard to find online)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Burnski is my wife's and my name combined. Kinda cool.

I really like Topo Apparel
(there is a clothing brand called Topo Designs that has stores all over Colorado - wondering if that could cause confusion and make me hard to find online)
It may make it easier to find you. I chose my name not because of American Apparel but because of the dedication to using only american made shirts. Use the name you want. You're not infringing on anyone. There are only a select amount on letters to use.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I chose my name not because of American Apparel but because of the dedication to using only american made shirts.
So why not some variation of "American MADE Apparel"? American owned really means something else. My company is American owned, I own it and I'm an American. Except for the decoration I perform, maybe a tiny fraction is made in America. Yet, we're American owned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So why not some variation of "American MADE Apparel"? American owned really means something else. My company is American owned, I own it and I'm an American. Except for the decoration I perform, maybe a tiny fraction is made in America. Yet, we're American owned.
To me its a representation of the entire company and all items sold being made in america. I think ill keep the name for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not a lawyer, but I know bad advice when I see it. Use TESS and do your own free trademark search at least as a first step.
What im saying is everything ouside of a trademark or copyright is fair game. How many businesses do you see with similar names but legally very different?

·
Registered
283 Posts
How many businesses do you see with similar names but legally very different?
I'm not looking to get into a protracted argument, this is easily researched topic on the web and even this website. But a "screen printing shop" doesn't sound "legally very different" from "a clothing brand that has stores all over", and one certainly wouldn't want to hire the lawyers to prove how different they are even if they could.

·
Registered
15 Posts
legal business names being different. American Spartan Apparel is a company. American Owned Apparel is a company. Both similar, but vastly different in the legal "copying name" realm. thats what I was referring to.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Let me share my take on this.
Looking down the road you may find selling your company to be the financial win you were looking for. Companies with the names of people, like Epstein, may find themselves a risk due to circumstances beyond their control. Don't use your name.
American Owned Apparel revealed the challenge. Not only is their name suggestive but the purpose, the backstory, ties into the name seamlessly.
Now one must ask, 'What is your passion?" or even better 'What is the passion of those in your community you intend to market to?"
Dream Big Outfitters - how does your company help others DREAM BIG.
Maker's Spirit - how does your company promote the collaboration of those who make things celebrate those who make things. This is really important if you are looking to print for area companies.
In Me - how does your company allow toher to see their potential....AND ACT TO BRING IT ALIVE. This would be a inspiring, transformational theme that reaches deep into the repessed dreams so many have. I do not recommend going the 'unicorn message' route but those gut messages like 'Did It," "Born to Change the World," "Leaders Eat Last," "Before Isolation I loved Being Alone," "Live in the Question."
Just some ideas you may be able to run with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We are a small screen printing and embroidery shop in Colorado. We started as an apparel company selling colorado themed shirts and we're called Colorado Lifestyle Apparel.

But we're changing course to do local screen printing and dropping the clothing line. So we are considering changing names.

Do you like any of these?
Which do you like best?

Rocky Mountain Threads
Fabrik : Screen printing and embroidery
Topo Apparel (my last names Topo)
Colorado Lifestyle Apparel
Lone Pine Apparel
Burnski Designs
Choice City Apparel
Fort Promo: Promote Yourself!
Neighborhood Prints - "Your Friendly Neighborhood Print Shop"
Do add in the word "T shirt Printing or Custom Print" inside the name, it is easier to do local SEO.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I second 'LONE PINE' or Lone Pine Press/Promotions/Printing etc... it's mountain-y without being too generic and you have a billion tasteful branding options that fit the Colorado culture

TOPO DESIGNS (solid brand and products btw) sells apparel and there would 100% be confusion enough for them to send a cease and desist... ask me how I know this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts