T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are screen printing on polos for the first time and need some pointers.

The weave is "mesh" looking, and we are afraid that the ink will settle in the "holes" and give the shirt a "pocked" look. (Using Puritan 60 cotton/40 poly)

They are dark shirts, so there will be a white base coat, then we will be adding yellow, gray, blue, red, and black.

The shirts are for an important company here in town, this is our first job for them, and we really want to make a good impression.

Any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated!

--Amber
Ever Lasting Gifts

P.S. Did I mention that they only gave us 2 days notice? (and the first has already been spent designing) Yes, they will be paying a huge RUSH / design fee, but not if they don't like the quality of the shirts!

·
Registered
214 Posts
My trade secret for things like this:

Me, to customer: Aw gee, that's a big job, that's specialty stuff. Let me call you back in a minute with a price

Call another printer, get his price, tack on 50$.

50$ for a phone call. Can't beat that with a stick.

I am curious as to how it went though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Pique knits can print fine but stay away from any fine detail designs or fonts with serifs.The pique knit doesn;t support them well.Order jersey knit polos if you can't control your ink deposit on the piques.Or have them embroidered for a really good looking shirt.Order a extra polo to do some testing on,it's really not too hard.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We are screen printing on polos for the first time and need some pointers.

The weave is "mesh" looking, and we are afraid that the ink will settle in the "holes" and give the shirt a "pocked" look. (Using Puritan 60 cotton/40 poly)

They are dark shirts, so there will be a white base coat, then we will be adding yellow, gray, blue, red, and black.

The shirts are for an important company here in town, this is our first job for them, and we really want to make a good impression.

Any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated!

--Amber
Ever Lasting Gifts

P.S. Did I mention that they only gave us 2 days notice? (and the first has already been spent designing) Yes, they will be paying a huge RUSH / design fee, but not if they don't like the quality of the shirts!

Whenever I did a design / separation that would be printed on heavy fabric, I would output an extra film/screen of the design (similiar to an extra screen of a solid flash) to be used as a "basecoat".

Printer used that extra screen to print some sort of clear basecoat "gel" ink first to smooth the surface, then applied the flash & colors on it afterwards.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I always look for knit not pique-I think that knit looks better with printing-pique does look great with embroidery-In the future-tell the customer what they want- :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts