T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
First off..I just found this site after DAYS of browsing the web looking for info and help to get me on the right path to starting my new small business. Please oh please, I hope someone answers this thread, since you all seem like an intelligent bunch =P.

I know this has been answered off an on throughout several threads here, but I'm so lost after absorbing the info.

First question: If I buy wholesale t-shirts from companies like Gildan, Hanes, Anvil, and Jerzees...is it illegal to re-sell them with my own personal artwork on them?

Should I remove their tag, or do I even need to, unless I want to?
Do I need their permission to even do that?

What is the legal requirements of opening a small custom tee store online?
I have found it wise to register a name and trademark it, but did any of you business owners have to apply for a local fictitious name, or file with your state for a business registration?

I guess basically I want this: I want to start an e-business, working from home. What are the things ABSOLUTELY required to do so without being sued? =P

Do you need a lawyer to create all the "terms and agreements", or if I'm a smart lass, could I do it myself?

I just want to give people a chance to buy custom tee shirts, where they would normally just go into a place like old navy and wear someone elses stuff. Promoting individual creativity is pretty damn satisfying if you ask me...but I definately don't want to screw up any of the legal portions of exploring this type of business =P
Any help is appreciated...
~Melissa
By the way did I mention that I love you? It's true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more question...

I almost forgot to ask...

Is it difficult to get permission to sell goods out of country...more specifically Canada (although I'd love to sell to Asian Markets after my business becomes steadily profitable..)

What needs to be done to sell outside of the U.S.?

-Love you more!
~Melissa
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,957 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forums!:D

makkura said:
First question: If I buy wholesale t-shirts from companies like Gildan, Hanes, Anvil, and Jerzees...is it illegal to re-sell them with my own personal artwork on them?
No, it is not illegal, and is done quite frequently. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure almost everyone here is doing this very thing.

makkura said:
Should I remove their tag, or do I even need to, unless I want to?
Do I need their permission to even do that?
You only need to do this if you wish, and no, you don't need their permission for this.
makkura said:
What is the legal requirements of opening a small custom tee store online?
I have found it wise to register a name and trademark it, but did any of you business owners have to apply for a local fictitious name, or file with your state for a business registration?
If you are going to be running a business you really need to file with your state. There will be sales tax and other issues. Here is a link for you to check out:
http://www.nass.org/sos/sosflags.html

Just find your state and it will direct you to your states' secretary of state website, which will have all the info you need about starting a business in your state.

Trademark is something to consider, but not necessary in order to begin your business.
makkura said:
I guess basically I want this: I want to start an e-business, working from home. What are the things ABSOLUTELY required to do so without being sued? =P
Do what's suggested above, and don't steal names or designs and you will be okay!;)
makkura said:
Do you need a lawyer to create all the "terms and agreements", or if I'm a smart lass, could I do it myself?
It's your business and you determine the terms. There are some basic ones that are free online. Just go to your favorite search engine and there will be plenty to choose from.

You can modify them to fit your needs. If you want legal advice, you can certainly seek it. But, it's not necessary for creating the terms of your site.
makkura said:
I just want to give people a chance to buy custom tee shirts, where they would normally just go into a place like old navy and wear someone elses stuff. Promoting individual creativity is pretty damn satisfying if you ask me...but I definately don't want to screw up any of the legal portions of exploring this type of business =P
Any help is appreciated...
~Melissa
By the way did I mention that I love you? It's true.
Also, you don't need permission to sell to other countries.

If you have an online business, it's open for people in all countries to see and purchase from.

Shipping to those countries will be a decision that you need to make. But if someone in Canada sees your site and wants to purchase a shirt, the only restriction will be placed by you and if you want to ship to them.

Hope I've been of some help.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AMAZING! You have been a tremendous help to me...you have NO IDEA, haha.
Thank you sooooo much for answering all my questions, it really takes a load off my worry pile =).
Someday I shall return the favor, hopefully!
Ty ty ty ty ty your the best!
<3 Melissa
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top