T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been casually browsing the local classified ads for the past 6 months looking for a used exposure unit at a good price. A couple days ago I found one listed on CL with the asking price of $50. According to the ad, it is in good working condition except that it no longer has the vacuum lid. I figured I could manage without the lid, so I went and bought it. Thinking I had just scored a pretty sweet deal, I googled the Make/Model# and discovered it's not an exposure unit.. but a light table!

The guy I bought it from also thought it was an exposure unit, and according to him, has used it successfully to burn many screens. I believe it has probably had several owners throughout the years and someone, somewhere along the chain of possession, replaced the original frosted glass with the clear glass it has now in order to use it for exposing screens. However, the bulbs that are currently installed are 30W "Cool White" fluorescent tubes, which seem like a weird choice for screen burning.

Now to the point of my post..

Do you think I will be able to use this as an exposure unit? It's pretty large (40 inches X 30 inches). It features three T-8 (36 inch) flourescent bulbs. I already ordered some non-filtered black light bulbs that I will swap with the current Cool White bulbs. There is a 7 inch gap between each of the 3 bulbs, and the bulbs sit mounted 7 inches below the glass surface. I will include reference photos.

Make/Model#: Sandmar SL-30

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
I've been casually browsing the local classified ads for the past 6 months looking for a used exposure unit at a good price. A couple days ago I found one listed on CL with the asking price of $50. According to the ad, it is in good working condition except that it no longer has the vacuum lid. I figured I could manage without the lid, so I went and bought it. Thinking I had just scored a pretty sweet deal, I googled the Make/Model# and discovered it's not an exposure unit.. but a light table!

The guy I bought it from also thought it was an exposure unit, and according to him, has used it successfully to burn many screens. I believe it has probably had several owners throughout the years and someone, somewhere along the chain of possession, replaced the original frosted glass with the clear glass it has now in order to use it for exposing screens. However, the bulbs that are currently installed are 30W "Cool White" fluorescent tubes, which seem like a weird choice for screen burning.

Now to the point of my post..

Do you think I will be able to use this as an exposure unit? It's pretty large (40 inches X 30 inches). It features three T-8 (36 inch) flourescent bulbs. I already ordered some non-filtered black light bulbs that I will swap with the current Cool White bulbs. There is a 7 inch gap between each of the 3 bulbs, and the bulbs sit mounted 7 inches below the glass surface. I will include reference photos.

Make/Model#: Sandmar SL-30

A light table isn't too bad a thing to if you have the space. I wish I kept some of my old ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.