T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that the Epson 4880 is selling for about $2000 on many websites. But signwarehouse is selling its "hybrid" package for $3290!!! Here is a link to the page. Can anyone tell me what's the difference between theirs and the regular one from Epson? Are they using 4 ink spaces for the sublijet and 4 spaces for the Chromablast? Is that all there is to it, or is there some kind of an add-on to the printer to enable it to become "hybrid" ? Thanks in advance! :confused:

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Rob,

Here is a post where a similar topic is discussed - http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublimation/t50248.html. The key thing to look at is what inks and software will be used to control the printer. Nothing is different with the printer. It all comes down to the inks and printing software. The Sawgrass System you mentioned above will only allow you to print on light garments. Other hybrid options will allow you to use different inks that will allow you to print on light and dark garments. Looking at the inks is also important as the cost per inks can be different depending on which ones you buy. You might also want to do some searches on this forum concerning the ChromaBlast ink. This ink is known to clog fast - so you need to make sure you run a print off it everyday. Based on the price and clogging issues with the ChromaBlast ink, many people have either steered away from it or have stopped using the ChromaBlast ink and just print with the 4-channels of sublimation ink.

These are important things to consider when making the purchase and setting up your hybrid printer. Once the inks are loaded, it can be costly to remove one (or both sets of inks). So do your research before you buy.

Best wishes,

Mark

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Mark...question for you. I believe that there is chromablast for one or both of the Ricoh printers..GX7000 and e3300...have you heard of any clogging issues with this combo? I stopped chromablast use on Epsons because of the clogging...but maybe Ricoh printers would work better????

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Charles,

I believe the jury is still out on whether the ChromaBlast ink for the Ricoh printers clogs less, the same or more for than the Epson printers. Needs at least 6 months in different geographical conditions / temperatures before one can say this comfortable.

But the other problem with this ink besides clogging is the cost. The cost of the Ricoh-based inks are significantly more expensive than the Epson-based inks. When you try to compare the ChromaBlast ink for Ricoh printers to a heat transfer inks for an Epson printer, the price is less than half when comparing the cost per a ML. Don't get me wrong, I like the Ricoh printers. But you need to look at all the factors - including cost. When you add the cost of two Ricoh printers and two manual feed options to do both types of printing on paper larger than 11" wide, you are up to the same cost as an Epson 48X0 printer. Then the cost per an ink becomes even more of an issue. However, the Ricoh will print much faster than the Epson. The Epson will give you a larger printable area.

Just some things to consider.

Mark

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your a life saver Mark. Thank you!!! I can't afford a mistake like that and the funny thing is that when you replied to this thread today, I was on the phone with a sales rep giving me a price quote on the printer package lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts