T-Shirt Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I ran a company printing Colorado flag shirts. It was very popular. But eventually that market became saturated and not feasible. So I own the name Colorado Lifestyle Apparel. But it sounds like a clothing brand.....not a screen printing company IMO.

My wife and I came up with BURNSKI DESIGNS
A mix of our last names. It works fine. But as we plan to ramp up into a full fledged company that we hope so be a household name in our town we wonder if that name should stay. Is it easy to remember, to say, to spell. Does it say what we offer?

We offer screenprinting, transfers, and embroidery. Custom apparel printing.

We actually don't offer art services so we are wondering if "designs" should go away.

What do you think?
We had some other ideas too below....

------

Burnski Designs (current)

Burnski Apparel (would be easy to change)

Rocky Mountain Shirts

Rocky Mountain Shirt Company

Aspen Leaf Apparel

Colorado Lifestyle Apparel (old)

Lone Pine Apparel

Bright Ideas : Screen Printed Apparel

Better Apparel : "Upgrade Your Apparel"

The Press: Custom Printed Apparel

The Printing Press : Custom Printed Apparel

Choice City Apparel

Neighborhood Prints - "Your Friendly Neighborhood Print Shop"

-------

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR YOUR FAVORITE?

WHAT'S YOUR OPINION ON OUR CURRENT NAME?

· Registered
4,713 Posts
most of those are taken (maybe not locally, but enough to maybe be confusing)

that leaves the last two for me, leaning slightly to choice city (just in case you expand out past colorado)
better lock in your domain name for your top three choices

all the best on your new direction

for your $500, i would start donating some groovy tee's for prizes locally (kids tourney's, bar games, etc.)
put your name/domain name and logo on the sleeve or between the shoulder blades on the back (nothing too advertisey)

· Registered
4,597 Posts
How about something short like "ROMO" or "RO-MO" or "ROMO Company" followed by a slogan "Custom Apparel Printing & Embroidery".
Other ideas...
R.M. Custom Tees / RM Custom Tees / RM Custom Apparel.

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How about something short like "ROMO" or "RO-MO" or "ROMO Company" followed by a slogan "Custom Apparel Printing & Embroidery".
Other ideas...
R.M. Custom Tees / RM Custom Tees / RM Custom Apparel.
I mean RockyMountainShirts.com is available (domain, etc). That company name is somehow not used yet.

· Registered
4,597 Posts
I mean RockyMountainShirts.com is available (domain, etc). That company name is somehow not used yet.
I'm not surprised.
YellowstoneNationalParkShirts.com as well as the shorter version YSNPshirts.com are also available.
These are not the most desirable domain names, but if you like RockyMountainShirts.com, it will do the job for what you are trying to do.

Descriptive domain names were an easy SEO boost a few years back, but not any more.
Also your business name does not have to be identical to your domain name.
For ROMO as a business name for example, ROMOapparel.com or ROMO-apparel.com will do.
Ideally you want your domain name to come up in the predictive search results, with only a few letters typed in, and these domains will do this.

I suggested ROMO as a business name because it's short, easy to spell, and easy to remember.
In reality, for what you are trying to do, the business name is too important either.
Having a slick and memorable business name is crucial when it is a big part of what you are selling. Clothing brands like "The North Face' or "Stüssy" for example.
If you are a manufacturer producing shirts for these brands however, nobody really cares what your company is called.
Something like "Golden Chinese Dragon Apparel Manufacturing Ltd." will do just fine.

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay - so Burnski Designs would be just fine them if it doesn't really matter what your name is?

But I would think people pay a little attention to the name of the shop they pick - I know things catch my eye when comparing sites.

I would think for local shoppers in town these might be easier to remember, refer people to, talk about.
Rather than a made up word like BURNSKI or ROMO (like the football player).
But I really don't know what the experts suggest.

• Choice City Apparel (our town is called the choice city)
  • Rocky Mountain Shirt Company (we live in the rocky mountains)
  • Neighborhood Print Shop (friendly sounding, shop local vibe)
  • Burnski Appparel (unique name, already established, no competition for the name or getting it mixed up with another shop)

All of these would have a tag line - Custom Apparel Printing & Embroidery - or something like that.

· Registered
4,597 Posts
Okay - so Burnski Designs would be just fine them if it doesn't really matter what your name is?
But I would think people pay a little attention to the name of the shop they pick - I know things catch my eye when comparing sites.
Business people don't care about the name, but there is nothing wrong with "Burnski Designs" even for retail customers.
You can also diversify by having additional FBNs (Fictitious Business Names) your company.
Cost around $2-$5 per name, and need renewing every 5 years.

I would think for local shoppers in town these might be easier to remember, refer people to, talk about.
People forget everything, but their memory can easily be refreshed by a promotional item.
This is why companies give away promotional pens, USB sticks, etc.

· Registered
4,713 Posts
But I really don't know what the experts suggest.
that was my first thought as well with 'romo', people will think of tony
and you might actually get a dmca with 'romo', if his agents catch wind of it

i agree with you about the psychology of your name (why i like choice city, excellent locally, but generic enough for national)

· Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that was my first thought as well with 'romo', people will think of tony

i agree with you about the psychology of your name (why i like choice city, excellent locally, but generic enough for national)
I like that thinking - local appeal but generic enough for anyone nationwide or out of town.

CHOICE CITY APPAREL
Custom T-Shirt Printing & Embroidery
www.ChoiceCityApparel.com

My wife really liked this one BUT when I search I find similar names in UTAH, WYOMING, OTHER PLACES IN COLORADO
ROCKY MOUNTAIN SHIRT COMPANY
www.RockyMountainShirts.com

I love this one as it appeals locally, to normal folks, but also everyone in the country.
NEIGHBORHOOD PRINTS
www.NeighborhoodPrinting.com

Or just keep things as they are -- no need to start fresh on Google Business Page, website domain, facebook page, instagram, branding, etc
BURNSKI DESIGNS

www.BurnskiDesigns.com

· Registered
4,597 Posts
Fame does not give him automatic ownership of a common name or for every possible use.

ok, now i'm with you
neighborhood prints
A good option, but in this case "Neighborhood Printing" to match the available domain would be my preferrence.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.