T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello, i am starting a business doing shirts and other articles of clohting. I have been reading up on this forum about the various methods of printing shirts. It appears i will probably be going to someone to get them done since I dont have the time and skill to print my type of designs, i can only print the simple ones. But then i read about the heat pressing techniques. I am trying to print designs like this:

http://www.verizonwirelessusers.com/gallery/d/20-3/MeetMicShirtPresent.jpg

If i bought a wide format printer like the Epson 1280 (with bulk ink CIS) that uses Pigment ink as well as some good transfers that dont have that "transfer" feel like people were discussing in here, i could print these designs. Around what will the costs per shirt be? Anybody have any websites they can refer me to that sells transfers? Are there any other wide format printers that use pigment ink?

·
Registered
16 Posts
just my opinion. dont spend money on expensive machines. then you need skilled technicians. even in china i find it exasperating depending on good staff.
best find a cheap printer and ask him for wholesales prices
you sell your ideas, artwork and your shirts -
make sales, get a local printer and let him do it. less risks

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi. i have 2 of these type - for quick testing colors iin dye sublimation.
ok for transfer prints - small production
are cheap to buy
expensive are the printers - esp wide formats;

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO you think i shouldn't try to do the shirts myself? Im not releaseing my clothing until late next year so i have a lot of time to perfect the technique on test shirts. Is it worth it? Most of the printers i am looking at are charging between 3-6 when i supply the shirts. The price raises almost a dollar to get tags put in but then i decided i would put tagless tags in the neck of the shirt to get rid of that charge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
blacks, concentrate on your graphics and ideas, be creative and promote them. the printers can do them - cheaper on volume.
you can get him to supply the blank ts or get it from the wholesalers
work out your costings. what is the end user paying u.
i am looking at selling blanks from china to australian wholesalers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The end user will be paying about 26 dollars so i've been looking into high quality tees. I wanted to get from continental clothing becasue i hear theyre good. If you have some high quality tees selling then im more than interested in buying them. Im trying to keep my cost per shirt below 10 dollars. This cost includes the printing, the shirt itself, the packaging (poly pags with sticker attached). The shipping the buyer pays so thats not a problem. I thought heat pressing them myself would bring the Cost Per shirt down but i see what you're saying.

·
Registered
16 Posts
in australia - u can but blanks for 8 aud - 10 aud. for small volumes
i have someone interested to buy blanks from me FOB shanghai for 4 aud - volume sales [>1000]. your selling at 26 is good profit - no risk. you concentrate in promotions and sales - we expert printers will give you the service -- haha . you can keep your costs below 12 - thats good profits

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8 AUD comes out to about 6 USD. So i guess i am getting good prices on shirts. I juse need the quality thats all. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The gradient effects i have on teh design in my post... Screenprinters are able to do that? I would think another method would have to be used such as heat pressing? Is that true? Does heat pressing usually cost more when you ge tthe printers to do it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
gradient effect - is it what we call "toning" = in color depth from strong to light. it is latest trend in latest graphics - vey popular. can be done as dots in screen printing but is perfect using digital sublimation prints - and of course must be heat pressed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
digital sublimation? I'll have to read up on that. I think i might get my shirts professionally done but i still want ot see what heat pressing is like. I might try it just to experience it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
go visit one printer in melbourne - he may show you.
its easy but demanding skills and patience - my advice above still stand.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Jblack™ said:
I thought heat pressing them myself would bring the Cost Per shirt down but i see what you're saying.
The Big PLUS about custom transfers is that Pressing and Stocking your own designs and making the shirts yourself to fill demand as you need is a big PLUS.

NO Cash tied up in Cases of printed shirts sitting around. From your shirt sample good quality plastisol transfers is all you need.

They are not too expensive (plastisol transfers). To get good prices per unit/design Yield/Gang up collections with a few designs on a 12"x18" transfer sheet for example.

..just another way/idea. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a FAQ or tutorial you can point me to that can allow me to get started and find out some more about Plastisol. I've heard the name thrown around reading on this forum but I dont really know much about them. Also some websites where i can purchase them from. What will i need to get to use these transfers?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Jblack™ said:
Is there a FAQ or tutorial you can point me to that can allow me to get started and find out some more about Plastisol. I've heard the name thrown around reading on this forum but I dont really know much about them. Also some websites where i can purchase them from. What will i need to get to use these transfers?
Another Big Plus using transfers in general is that you can order them from anywhere ZONE wise. Its Cheap to ship paper transfers across the globe.

To order pre-printed shirts on the order hand, it can get expensive when shipping them across the globe. For Pre-Printed shirts try a local Screen Printer if possible.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am going to look into these plastisol transfers and i might ask these screenprinters i know to help me out with using these. It shouldnt be too hard??? The only thing that could create problems is getting the location on the shirt to be the same on every shirt and every different shirt size.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Plastisol is basically having a company screen print your design on to a piece of paper, which you can then apply to a shirt with a heat press.

I would advise getting a real press if you intend to do commercial work and not the wooden eBay presses; they are more made for casual, hobby use.

Your cost per shirt in USD should be around $4-$5 (shirt+transfer+ink) if you are pressing them yourself in fairly small numbers. This does NOT account for the cost of the printer, press, etc. however which are (tax-deductable) expenses you'll need to endure as well.

Pressing them yourself sounds like it would work pretty well for what you are looking at doing. Only doing small runs of ~12 or less is expensive to do at another shop; they're usually better suited for larger runs. In addition, most screen printers (perhaps not all?) will not be cheap if you want to do a grayscale effect on only a dozen shirts.

Heat transfers may be the way to go - but do keep in mind that you'll be limited to light-colored shirts (white/ash) with those, generally. Every process has some advantages and some disadvantages, of course.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Twinge said:
Heat transfers may be the way to go - but do keep in mind that you'll be limited to light-colored shirts (white/ash) with those, generally. Every process has some advantages and some disadvantages, of course.
I think Twinge is talking about digital computer transfers.

Plastisol Transfers Print on ALL Fabric colors ( Black T-Shirts etc. )

Here is a sample by copyright sickonsin.com brand.

You can also use opaque digital transfer to print on ALL COLOR Fabrics.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Jblack™ said:
I am going to look into these plastisol transfers and i might ask these screenprinters i know to help me out with using these. It shouldnt be too hard??? The only thing that could create problems is getting the location on the shirt to be the same on every shirt and every different shirt size.
Front Chest Transfer Placement for example is easy. I use the finger method. Just lay the backside of your hand on the shirt where your pointing finger starts at the neck and measure it with the fingers... usually 3 or 4 fingers down is standard.

Do remove your hand before you press.......bwahahahaha:) just kiddin'

1 - 20 of 65 Posts