T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had an Anajet FP-125 A (actually MelcoJet) since last September. I have recently started having MAJOR issues where the machine frequently (several times per day) freezes up and starts flashing a variety of error messages and the orange wait button simultaneously. The only remedy is a hard shut down, which results in the "Reset Waste Ink Counter" message with noisy beeping. We then take some combination of the following steps (often all of them) to get it working again:
  • Reset and initialize the waste ink counter using the Epson adjustment program.
  • Remove the black ink cartridge and release and move the printhead all the way to the left to reset it.
  • Clean the clear "filmstrip" looking strip that's above the carriage shaft with cleaning fluid.
  • Unplug the printer for several seconds prior to re-starting.
I am extremely frustrated because I'm spending an immense amount of time messing around with the printer and Melco has no answers (other than to send it back for them to assess and repair). There are literally times where I only get 1 or 2 prints done and then it happens all over again. Argghhh! I'm in the middle of several large jobs and have several events coming up, can't send it off right now for 3+ weeks, not to mention the expense of doing so. Productivity is at a standstill with this issue happening so often.

Has anyone had similar issues or know what might be causing it? Is there a part that might be faulty or going out??

Thanks for any assistance!

Angela

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I thought that the Anajet/Melcojet was a "purpose built" machine and only used an OEM Epson print head. Using the Epson utility to reset the counter would indicate that more than the print head was an Epson component. Anyone have a clarification on this?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Angela, I own an Anajet Sprint so I think our printers should be relatively similar. I'm not sure if you are allowed to call Anajet directly and speak with their tech support team or not since you bought a Melco. If you want to PM me your error codes, I can call the Anajet tech that came to my shop to set up my printer. I'm sure he will know what they mean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thanks Coors. It was 3 different messages that it started alternating between, I'll write them down when (if???!) it happens again. It actually worked properly from the time I wrote the message yesterday through the evening, so maybe the answer is me leaving! :) We just booted up, so we'll see how it goes today!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm having a similar problem as Angela with an Anajet. I tried initializing the waste ink counter, cleaning the encoder strip and restarting several times. I just can't get rid of the "Reset Waste Ink Counter" error message. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any idea what I can try next???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know exactly how frustrating this is! Mine ended up needing a DEEP cleaning of the encoder strip. I thought that I was cleaning it well with my gentle passes with cleaning fluid, but after getting a little more agressive with it, I got lots more junk off. It's been working perfectly for the past week (thank goodness!!!). I just used the cleaning fluid with one of the melco cleaning swabs and rubbed a little more vigorously along the entire strip, but Coors technician suggested that you can also use 50% rubbing alcohol mixed with 50% distilled water and then apply it with a soft cloth by pinching the strip it between your two fingers as you run the cloth down the encoding strip to remove any residual junk. Haven't had to do that myself yet, but will try it if I have issues again! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and another note, my wacky error messages were also related to the encoder strip. Apparently that's what happens when the print head can't find it's start point on encoder strip. I also started having problems where when I turned on the machine, when it was initializing the print head wouldn't stop when it hit the left wall, it would try to keep going, which made a loud and scary noise and raised my blood pressure :). All issues were because of my encoder strip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you are still having problems with the reset counter

If you are still having problems with the reset counter error message.

So you called tech support and they told you to clean the encoder strip.
While that is an important maintenance issue, it’s probably the least likely culprit.
Unless you have a habit or touching the strip or accidently get a cleaning solution or ink on it, the only thing that should contaminate the strip is dust. So yes, you do need to examine it and clean it occasionally.

So now you are reading this to get another solution. The print head also has an alarm signal, and I’m guessing that Epson based printers use the reset counter error to report any error. What did the encoder strip have to do with the counter? Nothing. And neither does the print head, but you get the same error message.

The print head sends an error signal if there is an air bubble in it. Commons situations include:
Leaving your machine idle too long
Tied to suck out the last gram of expensive ink out of the cartridge
Changing between ink and cleaning cartridges
Adopted cleaning measures to keep the ink moving
Chances are good for getting an air bubble in one or more ink channels in the print head.
If this is the culprit, you might have found that leaving the machine off over night (or two) cured this problem. Thank Gravity as your overnight repairs.

All you need to do is use the capping stations ink pump to pull ink or cleaning solution through the head to push the bubble out.

For the Anajet Sprint, AC power is on but the main control power is off. The display says to press the power key. Use the Up arrow and Enter keys to pull the bubble out.

I know this is a bit late for all of us that went into panic mode with order piled up.
Try this next time and see if it helps.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: If you are still having problems with the reset counter

If you are still having problems with the reset counter error message.

So you called tech support and they told you to clean the encoder strip.
While that is an important maintenance issue, it’s probably the least likely culprit.
Unless you have a habit or touching the strip or accidently get a cleaning solution or ink on it, the only thing that should contaminate the strip is dust. So yes, you do need to examine it and clean it occasionally.

So now you are reading this to get another solution. The print head also has an alarm signal, and I’m guessing that Epson based printers use the reset counter error to report any error. What did the encoder strip have to do with the counter? Nothing. And neither does the print head, but you get the same error message.

The print head sends an error signal if there is an air bubble in it. Commons situations include:
Leaving your machine idle too long
Tied to suck out the last gram of expensive ink out of the cartridge
Changing between ink and cleaning cartridges
Adopted cleaning measures to keep the ink moving
Chances are good for getting an air bubble in one or more ink channels in the print head.
If this is the culprit, you might have found that leaving the machine off over night (or two) cured this problem. Thank Gravity as your overnight repairs.

All you need to do is use the capping stations ink pump to pull ink or cleaning solution through the head to push the bubble out.

For the Anajet Sprint, AC power is on but the main control power is off. The display says to press the power key. Use the Up arrow and Enter keys to pull the bubble out.

I know this is a bit late for all of us that went into panic mode with order piled up.
Try this next time and see if it helps.
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post this.

Yesterday, I was beside myself. I had just completed a few days of flushing my FP-125 with cleaning solution and loaded up to print and the WASTE INK COUNTER error went crazy. I reset it 7-times, cleaned the encoder strip, the lens, all to no avail. Talked to Brian at Anajet, who reiterated about the encoder strip. When I explained all I had done, he said I should bring it in. I explained I don't have the resources time or $$$ and begged for another option. He suggested replacing the encoder strip, but couldn't guarantee that would solve the issue. That was at 4:57p yesterday. I jumped on the t-shirt forum a little while later and came across your posting. (Forgot what a great resource this site is!) Anyway, long story short, I left the printer off overnight and this morning, I disassembled, cleaned and reset the ink chip holder, cleaned the encoder strip, a 5th time, turned on the printer and Ta DAAA! Printer is up and running, nozzle check perfect, test prints - AWESOME!

I understand that Anajet is a business, but when their only solution is to bring the printer in at a minimum of $500 when there is virtually NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PRINTER. Surely they must be aware of what you have learned. They would serve their customers so much better if they were honest and forthright and kept their customers online and printing!

Last year I had an issue and at the time believed I had no option, but to take my FP-125 to Anajet. Well 5-weeks and almost $1,700 later, my printer was quasi-refurbished, but the point is - IT WASN'T NECESSARY. When I brought it back and set it up, I had THE VERY SAME ISSUE!!!! :mad:

It turned out to be a software glitch that cost $50 or $70 with EKPrint Studio, but Tech support didn't suggest that until AFTER they got my $1,700. The folks at EKP were incredibly helpful and had me up and running in a very short period of time.

Now I only contact Anajet if I'm in a dyer situation and once again - the T-shirt Forum helped me find the solution!

Thank you so much - you saved the day!:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
The other thing you can try is simply to take your cartridges out and back in.....sometimes an air lock occurs and this simple step can remedy the situation. Try this if the ink stops flowing when it had been before. If this doesn't help, gently pull some ink with a syringe from the waste tube, place the tube back in the waste bottle, let drip for a few seconds, perform a clean cycle and you should be good to go (don't ask how many printheads I purchased only to find out this would have probably solved the situation).

Always check the print queue to make sure it's empty before turning your printer on. Having a job in the print queue from the computer can cause the printer to be confused and not boot up fully.

I know this doesn't exactly address your problem but it's good to know just in case.

Also, if you're interested I have a very simple and relatively inexpensive solution to clean the lines using about $4 worth of chemicals and refillable ink cartridges; been using for over a year now flawlessly!

·
Registered
31 Posts
This recipe I got from Alien Steve on a yahoo board (Heat Transfer For Desktop Printing - aka HTFDP):

• 7 parts distilled or filtered water
  • 2 parts 90% or 100% isopropyl alcohol - clear
  • 1 part clear nonsudsing household ammonia - clear
I make the solution in a cleaned out gallon jug (I actually put the recipe on the jug with a sharpie). Then use refillable cartridges (available through DTGInks or I'm sure other places as well). I tend to get the solution flowing by gently pulling from the waste tube and then just let flow for an hour or so (make sure you have sufficient room to catch all the liquid). Then I'll run a cleaning cycle and then a print purge to make sure I have clean lines. If not, you can either start the free flow again or run through Epson Adjust program the ink charge. Once everything runs clear, I put another set of carts with proper cleaning solution (available at DTGInks) with the ink charge and then shut it down.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You don't leave the machine on when flushing the system? Anajet advises you allow the machine to run as usual unless you're going away on vacation or the machine will be down for awhile. Thanks for your insight!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I leave the machine on while it is slowly drawing the fluid through it. I flush out the machine anytime I'm not going to print for a few days. The chemicals are so inexpensive and then I don't have to worry about keeping the machine hydrated and the ink flowing. It can be very dry in the Sacramento Valley. In fact, on my FP-125 I keep a wet, but not dripping shammy over the front and another inside on the bottom of the platen to keep it hydrated - works great! My hydrometer inside the left side lets me know when I need to take a break and get the inside re-hydrated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I printed with ease for a day and a half and then the waste counter issue returned. I have replace the encoder strip, reset the ink chip holder more than a dozen times in the past day and a half and still having problems. The auto-maintenance does not work - and when it is time it simply puts the display into a cycle of gibberish. After several hard re-boots I was able to print today. Performed a print head clean and now its back to the waste ink counter error - for more than an hour. WHO HAS TIME FOR THIS? Any more advise is greatly appreciated. I really don't have the time or the resources for Anajet to perform their $500 plus "repairs" and weeks without the printer. This is so frustrating. Any more help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
45 Posts
UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POSTING:

Okay, so qa few days later and MORE ISSUES!

First Waste Ink Counter - but already corrected according to the software. Hard shut down. Unplugged from wall. Rebooted. Waste Ink Counter AGAIN. Hard shut down. Unplugged from outlet. Reset Ink Chip. Rebooted. Auto Maintenance Loop. Hard shut down. Unplugged from outlet. Reset Ink Chip. (In the past Anajet Tech explained this might need to be done UP TO 8 TIMES). Searched T-shirt Forum for more solutions - without including "FP-125" in search and found the same issue with both the Sprint AND MP5 (go figure - a pesky issue still not remedied by Anajet).

PLEASE NOTE: Haven't been able to print so nothing in the print cache to clear. NEW encoder strip installed a couple of days ago. Compared the NEW one to the existing strip and THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME - NO SCRATCHED, CREASES OR MARKS OF ANY KIND - but just in case, I installed the new one and STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUES.

Found another suggestion - unplug from outlet and computer. Plug into wall BUT NOT computer and reboot. This tine it came back online. Plugged in the computer and am now printing...... It only took 2.5 hours so I didn't loose an entire day, although I did miss my delivery deadline this afternoon. =(

·
Registered
45 Posts
UPDATE TO ORIGINAL POSTING:

Okay, so qa few days later and MORE ISSUES!

First Waste Ink Counter - but already corrected according to the software. Hard shut down. Unplugged from wall. Rebooted. Waste Ink Counter AGAIN. Hard shut down. Unplugged from outlet. Reset Ink Chip. Rebooted. Auto Maintenance Loop. Hard shut down. Unplugged from outlet. Reset Ink Chip. (In the past Anajet Tech explained this might need to be done UP TO 8 TIMES). Searched T-shirt Forum for more solutions - without including "FP-125" in search and found the same issue with both the Sprint AND MP5 (go figure - a pesky issue still not remedied by Anajet).

PLEASE NOTE: Haven't been able to print so nothing in the print cache to clear. NEW encoder strip installed a couple of days ago. Compared the NEW one to the existing strip and THEY ARE EXACTLY THE SAME - NO SCRATCHED, CREASES OR MARKS OF ANY KIND - but just in case, I installed the new one and STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUES.

Found another suggestion - unplug from outlet and computer. Plug into wall BUT NOT computer and reboot. This tine it came back online. Plugged in the computer and am now printing...... It only took 2.5 hours so I didn't loose an entire day, although I did miss my delivery deadline this afternoon. =(
:mad: Damn, I spoke too soon. As soon as I posted the above - the printer went berserk! I cannot believe I am the only person suffering with this issue. And I don't understand why Anajet has NOT addressed this problem! Their only remedy is to bring it in for repairs.... NOT a viable solution.

·
Registered
45 Posts
:mad: Damn, I spoke too soon. As soon as I posted the above - the printer went berserk! I cannot believe I am the only person suffering with this issue. And I don't understand why Anajet has NOT addressed this problem! Their only remedy is to bring it in for repairs.... NOT a viable solution.
PROBLEM SOLVED!

A number of re-setting the ink chip holder and cleaning the encoder strip and it appears it ended up being corrosion on the ink chips themselves. Fortunately my neighbor who is a computer guy, NOT a printer tech, but he was able to help me troubleshoot and suggested we use a swab dipped in alcohol (that's all we had on hand), assembled, ran nozzle check, test prints and white ink test - everything is working fine. I thought I had cleaned everything thoroughly, but apparently not good enough.

Will post more if anything changes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts