T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is the proper category to post, but here are my questions. What is the proper size (read: standard size) for an image to be screenprinted on tees for women and also for kids?

For the shirts for women I'm looking at maternity tees. How big should I make the image so that it is readable without being ridiculously large? All of the images will be centered on the front of shirt.

For all the kids tee designers out there: the tees I'll use are onesies and short sleeve shirts. Again, the image will be centered on the front. What would you all recommend as the standard size for the artwork that I provide my screenprinter?

Thanks in advance for all the help.:eek:

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
Check this thread for some recommend image sizes:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=3195&highlight=standard

What would you all recommend as the standard size for the artwork that I provide my screenprinter?
My suggestion would be to ask your screen printer about this. They probably have done 1000's of similar print jobs and will have suggestions for you on what image size to use for ladies tees and kids tees. They will also tell you exactly what size and format image to send. If you have a vector image file, then the size won't matter.

I've often said, working with your screen printer is like nuturing any good relationship or marraige. Communication is the key :) Ask them about everything. What works for one screen printer may not work for others. Get to know if you can trust their recommendations. See how thick their ink coverage is. See what they expect you to bring to the relationship. Know what you want out of the relationship :)

On a recent print job I sent to my screen printer I had toddler size t-shirts all the way up to 3XL tees and I knew I could trust my screen printer to automatically create screens that looked good on all the different t-shirts.

On a side note, sometimes when I'm trying to figure out how big I want a design on a t-shirt, I like to pull out the old trusty wooden ruler and hold it up to a tee.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i was having similar issues with sizing, I was making a design today and wanted to see how big it should be on the front and sleeve, so i just printd it out on paper, cut it, and placed it flat on the shirt. i saw it was smaller than i wanted, so i made it bigger and it looks fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rodney -- thanks for the sound advice. I will contact my screenprinter and see what their thoughts are on the subject of imprint size. It seems each day is a new thing to learn, but exciting too. Thanks for providing an awesome forum where I (and others) can get the help (read: courage) we need to move forward.

MinusBlindfold -- Glad I'm in good company. I think I'll pull out the ruler as well as print out a few of my designs to check for myself what I think the correct size should be; this way I'll be able to observe if my findings match what my screenprinter recommends.

·
Registered
8 Posts
which brand matnerity tee are you going to use? I need to find a good quality yet cheap tee for my business. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
elaine said:
which brand matnerity tee are you going to use? I need to find a good quality yet cheap tee for my business. Thanks!
Elaine, based on your question it would seem that you are having a difficult time tracking down shirts. From what I've found so far, good quality, CHEAP maternity tees just don't exist unless you get them from China or India and then you're required to buy a boat load (well, almost a boat load). I've talked to numerous US manufacturers and they say there is very little demand so they don't bother. Here are a few places I have found that do carry what you're looking for, but they're not cheap like a non-maternity shirt:

ammausa.com
theactiveedge.com
dharmatrading.com

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts