T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to cut a bitmap image on my vinyl cutter. I'm using signblazer and I have an image that has some text and shapes on it (black design on white background). Once I insert the image into signblazer, is there a way to make my vinyl cutter cut the black design/text?

As of now, I'm importing the bitmap into the software, and once I've selected "Cutter", I get the message "The drawing contains a bitmap. Only other objects will be cut and the bitmap will not be cut."

Please help!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You'll have to vectorize the bitmap in order to cut it. The easiest way is to trace is in a vector drawing program. I'm assuming since you have a vinyl plotter you have some sort of vector drawing program.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Like Ross said it has to be vectorized in order for your cutting software to read it. If your using Adobe Illustrator you would have to save it in either AI or EPS format.

·
Registered
462 Posts
SignBlazer will vectorize raster images, but I have found that Corel Draw's and InkScape's vectorizing features come out a bit better on poorer quality graphics. With any program though- the better the raster image going in- the better the vector coming out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am just learning. But the more I use InkScape, the more I like it. I too vote Inkscape. It has alot of possibilities.
Good Luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
You do have to vectorize the file prior to cutting. As far as the method or tracing program you use. that depends on what type of detail and quality you need to achieve. I redraw bitmap logos that need to be extremely clean for larger signs where a small imperfection will show up quite well. Also the plotter will hit every single node your tracing program produces which in some cases is tens of thousands or more depending how complex your artwork is. This can make cutting time quite long and can give cutters with small buffers trouble. tracing programs also don't deal with intersecting lines which can make weeding a nightmare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts