T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to meet y'all. Can we get down to business?

I am not a screen printer, I am a seamstress, but I need to make labels for my stuff and I am thinking screen printing is the way to go.

I have a question for any experts out there:

I want to screen print some washable labels on 100% cotton woven, not knit, fabric with plastisol. Washability and longevity of the label is key!

Each label for each individual item to which it will be attached is different! I know, crazy, but necessary. Which is why I need to do this myself - too expensive to get a professional to do it.

A home iron on the highest setting will reach approx. 400 degrees.

If I screen print a small label, say up to 6"x6", and dry it to the touch with a heat gun (which I already have), do you think I can properly cure it with a home iron - actually 2 home irons placed to cover the entire print area?

If this is not possible, could those of you who are running printing businesses tell me if a screen printer would cure product for someone like me? Is that a thing???
Hi, I screen printed these labels, can I pay you to cure them for me?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

eag1

· Registered
1,568 Posts
Being a seamstress, would you be able to use white 100% polyester labels and stop the edges fraying? You could then simply use a sublimation printer and small heat press to print one-off's or multiples of any design you like and washability will be excellent.

· Registered
4,500 Posts
All you need is an inkjet printer with pigment based inks and freezer paper.

1. Take some cotton fabric and iron a sheet of freezer paper over it. it will stick.
2. Then cut it to size, so it goes through your inkjet printer.
3. Put some tape over the edges, as fraying threads will touch the print-heads and smear the ink.
4. Print.
5. Remove the freezer paper and iron at the highest temperature. This will bind the pigment to the fabric.

Note I said pigment based inks. Dye based inks have no solid binders or pigments to bond to the fabric.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.