T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Shaun. I go by BeatMaKeR on several online boards so I'm using it here as well.

I'm from Baltimore, Maryland in the USA. Been a professional graphic designer for the past 10 years. Both web and print. I'm also a music producer. Been doing that since about 1998. I have a bunch of my stuff being played on Mtv and Vh1 shows like Real World and Road Rules, Making the band, etc. I've been running a freelance design and music company since 2000 called Pinnacle Rhythms. We released an album in March of '04 that won best compilation album of the year on Sphereofhiphop.com and was part of the top 5 LP's of 2004 on hhfts.com.

I'm about to launch a small startup clothing line collaborating with a fellow music freind of mine. The line will be geared towards the underground hip-hop culture with emphasis on the graffiti art and stencil art forms as well as culturally relevant elements.

We're gearing up now and I'm investigating ways of getting our shirts custom branded and manufactured as well as printed. Our goal is to have an exceptionally solid shirt, both in the quality of the material, as well as the printing and design. We want it to be comparable if not better than our greatly respected peers in this market (i.e. Akademiks, L-R-G, Ecko, etc.).

Wish us the best. And we're willing to take advice.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
Hi Shaun, :welcome:

Many of the brands you listed get their shirts manufactured in places like India, China, etc by the 1000's.

I'm not sure if you are planning to start small and grow, or if you have the capital to start out with those quantities, but you may want to look at getting a solid shirt through an established manufacturer like Hanes or Jerzees and have the shirts relabled, or get them custom manufactured in smaller quantities through a company like Jerico Sportswear or nosweat apparel or other US based manufacturers.

Either way, good luck with your new line!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Rodney. I actually called Jericho today. They were plenty helpful and I ordered a few samples to check out. So what's the scoop with nosweat?

As far as capital and quantities go. I'll probably start off with 1,000 order broken up into 6-8 styles of shirts for an initial trial run and see how it goes.

Yea, I've been investigating outside US sources for the shirts. Definitely less expensive than US companies. But I'm weary about them. Plus, prestige comes with knowing you support US companies. I just wish there was better and more selections of them around at comparable prices to non-US companies.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would you say is a good number Twinge? :confused:

Keep in mind, that's total for 6-8 different shirt designs broken up to get that #. Its also the minimum order requirement to get tags sew into my shirts at the printer I contacted locally.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Just shows you have a LOT of confidence in your product, I guess =) Which could be a good thing or a bad thing...

For just starting out, small numbers (under 100) make more sense to me personally. Most people like to make sure that thier shirts will sell before making that kind of an investment.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm planning a launch party concert at a venue that holds up to 1,500-2,000 people. Last event I held there had about 500-600 turn-out. I sold about 150 shirts at the show which was for an album release and not clothing. The shirts where just there as an 'extra' but sold quite well. The venue will be flying in some artists who will sponser the label by wearing it on stage and performing at the launch party (since this time its about the clothes, not the album). So yea... you could say I have a little confidence in the label. ;)

I may just end up spinning my wheels and not making any $$. But it wouldn't be the first time. Prolly won't be the last either. LOL

I want to make sure I don't under cut myself and not have enough on hand for the show. But I don't want to get stuck with 1,000 shirts in my closet I can't sell either. Its a gamble.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Always is either way. Too many and you're stuck with stock, too few and you're losing out on some profits.

I've been talking from a 'normal' standpoint; most people obviously don't have the strings to pull that you do =)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah man. I have no strings either. I just like thowing money into a hole I guess. I never make any money off the things I do except freelance design and music. Anything I actually try to "make" to sell... physically that is... just ends up being a money pit. But its a high quality/top notch money pit at least. haha!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think associating the product with musicians is an excellent way to boost sales. People just aren't that excited to buy a tshirt for $20, but when its associated with something else that they like a lot, they are willing to part with the money. That's why band t-shirts sell like crazy.

I started with 500 as a trial run, but that was of a bunch of designs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I most certainly will.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts