T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I am new to this forum, i have been trying to sign up for awhile but i never got the activation code, i just got the activation email today so here i am.

A little background about myself. I have joined together with a group of friends and have been working and developing a new clothing line that is targeted towards the urban and skating market. I have always loved clothes so i am giving this a chance and see how far we can take it.

and i have a few really quick questions, does anyone on this forum know a Company call LRG-Lifted Research Group? i wanted to order or have t-shirts made with the same feel and thickness and quality, does anyone know where i can do such thing. i also noticed that different 100% cotton t-shirt has different feel and thickness. Is there a thread count in t-shirt and if there is what are the different level of 100% cotton shirt out there or that i can get made, and what is the best quality 100% cotton t-shirt out there, that is not only soft but also thick and have very little shirnkage.

And one more question i also noticed that some silk screen printed on t-shirt tends to crack, is there a different type of paint that is used to keep the print from cracking.

i am sorry about all the questions but i just wanted to have the best shirt and printed quality. thank you for all you help and i hope i can contribute to this from like many of you again thank you.

Nick aka - noob

·
Premium Member
27,690 Posts
Hi Nick, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums! Sorry about the registration problems, but I'm glad you made it :)

and i have a few really quick questions, does anyone on this forum know a Company call LRG-Lifted Research Group?
Yes, I've heard of them.

i wanted to order or have t-shirts made with the same feel and thickness and quality, does anyone know where i can do such thing.
If you have one of their shirts, you can look at the tag in the neckline for the RN number and lookup that RN number online to find the manufacturer.

It's highly possible that they had the shirts custom made to their specifications by a garment factory (either in the US or overseas). Ordering custom garments like this usually require large minimums (in the 1000's).

i also noticed that different 100% cotton t-shirt has different feel and thickness. Is there a thread count in t-shirt and if there is what are the different level of 100% cotton shirt out there or that i can get made, and what is the best quality 100% cotton t-shirt out there, that is not only soft but also thick and have very little shirnkage.
100% cotton shirts are usually measured by the "weight" of the shirt in ounces. 4 ounces would be a lighter weight shirt, 5 ounces would be a medium weight shirt and 6 ounces would be a heavy weight shirt.

Sometimes shirts are also measured in "singles" (a measure of thickness). Like a 26s shirt would be a heavier shirt whereas a 60s shirt would be almost sheer.

Regarding "best quality". That's totally a judgement call. Some would say that a thin shirt is a better "quality" than a thicker shirt. Everyone has their different tastes and styles preferences.

Your best bet is to try as many different garment brands as you can to see which one is closest to what want. You may find a manufacturer that makes the exact style you need, at the very least, you'll get a better idea of what to tell a garment factory when they ask you what you want them to make (if you go that route). Check out the Jerzees ZT, ProClub (often used in urban lines), Jerico Sportswear, Hanes Beefy, AmericanApparel, AlternativeApparel and see if the samples will meet your needs.

And one more question i also noticed that some silk screen printed on t-shirt tends to crack, is there a different type of paint that is used to keep the print from cracking.
A screen printed shirt printed correctly should not crack. I have shirts that I had printed 10 years ago that haven't cracked at all. On the other hand, I've worked with screen printers who gave me product that cracked if you moved the shirt wrong.

Without going into all types of technical details that may be over my head, cracking is usually related to over curing/drying the shirt. You can ask more about screen printing in the Screen Printing forum though if you need a deep technical reason. Bottom line is that if it cracks, it wasn't printed correctly:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

:welcome:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rodney, thank you so much for the reply, that was a big help, do you have a business shirt printing business?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts