T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm an export broker and this is a new product for me

I just got my first order to 200,000 t-shirts! Does anyone know of any company, anywhere in the United States that can handle this order and ship it overseas?

I have measurements and everything. My client just wants white and black shirts, nothing on them, nothing fancy.

Thanks and I'm glad I found this forum!

Stephanie

·
Registered
175 Posts
Seems a strange request? Surely for an order this size the buyer would source out a reputable T-shirt supplier than go through an export broker.
Where are these garments going to be shipped to? Do they have to be manufactured in the USA and whats your target price?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh dear, I was afraid of that.:(

Now, I’ve brokered deals before , it’s that this was a new product for me. In fact they contacted me. I figured it would be easy to fill while I work on one that I normally do. I specialize in construction equipment actually.

Maybe they think I am a manufacturer.

So to be honest, when I got this I was thrown a bit, but I figured it would be easy commission for me. T-shirts I thought would be easy.

Guess not. Please tell me the scam. What should I look for? You said that you’ve had these kinds of requests before. What countries do they come from?

I only deal with East European and former eastern block countries. Love them! Very accommodating. I also deal with Asian countries.

Since I deal with Ex-Im Bank to insure my deals and I always request a Letter of Credit, I try to lessen the risk to me.

Thanks for the advice.:)

Stephanie

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
I agree with Lou. I can't count the amount of times I get emails from companies wanting blank shirts from me.

I even had companies email me saying they wanted 2X and 3X only to ship to Ethiopia. Of all places where there probably isn't one person large enough to wear a 2X or 3X shirt.

I'd stay away from this one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Jerid

You know what, you made sense there. They are asking for SM, Med, and large but they are also asking for XXL. This is in Camroon.

I've been to a lot of Afircan countries, I saw TALL but not wide.

Thanks again.

Stephanie

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Guess not. Please tell me the scam. What should I look for? You said that you’ve had these kinds of requests before. What countries do they come from?
I get emails (even phone calls through the TDD phone system) like this all the time, but then again, yours *might* be a legitimate offer.

Usually they are from an African country like Ghana/Kenya/Nigeria (although sometimes eastern European). They will ask for a large number of items to be paid for by credit card or even western union. They will offer to send the credit card information via email and bill to their fedex account number.

Here's one email I dug out of my archives that didn't get deleted:

> i am bruce cole manager of
> brucecompanyltd i will like to order for some goods
> to my store in nigeria right here in lagos i will
> pay u by the following payment listed bellow,dont
> hesitate to mail me back if my request is consider
> under ur establishment hope to here from u soonest.
> companycreditcards;visacard or mastercard
> western union money transfer;
We actually had ONE very large legitimate order from Nigeria, but I still would say that 99.99% of the ones received are scams.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
I think the most important thing is to look for anything that seems odd. Probably the most important thing is to make sure the payment fully clears (and check for stolen card etc.) before shipping anything -- if they keep insisting you ship out the shirts as fast as possible, call the whole thing off; that's a huge red flag.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
So how can you tell the difference between legit orders and scams?
I start with the basic assumption that they are all scams (that fit my red flag system in my head) until proven otherwise.

The one order (out of literally over 1000 fraud emails) that was legitmate actually didn't start out sounding "fraudish". It was a standard quote request, follow up, etc. When the customer told us (by phone) where it would be shipping to, that's when the red flags went up :)

After that, we did all types of background checks on the customer, reference checks, company background info, phone calls and finally deduced that it was a "real" order.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rodney said:
After that, we did all types of background checks on the customer, reference checks, company background info, phone calls and finally deduced that it was a "real" order.
Can you please advise a good company for these background checks. How can you tell if the potential customers is a fraud or not? What are some of the things you guys look for in these reports?

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Can you please advise a good company for these background checks.
Google is actually a good place to start. Lots of information on companies can be found there if they are doing any dealings online.

How can you tell if the potential customers is a fraud or not? What are some of the things you guys look for in these reports?
I work on sort of a "weighted red flag" system I developed in my head :) Certain things are more "fraudy" than other things. Certain things aren't a big deal unless they are coupled with other "flags".

For example, an IP address saying that the person ordering is from Indonesia when the shipping address is Detroit, Michigan is a HEAVY redflag (let’s say a 5).

A shipping address that doesn’t match the billing address isn’t really a HEAVY redflag, but coupled with other redflags, it could be cause for concern, so we’d give a shipping/billing address mismatch a 1.

Once an order reaches a certain point level (Say 5-10 points), the order is held for manual review and credit card owner verification by phone/email/fax.

Order size, international order, free email address used, etc are all different weighted flags that you can adopt for your own purposes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any wholesaler can handle this quantity (Broder, Staton, Alpha,ACC, etc) the issue will be with customs but if you are a broker, you should be able to have them delivered to a West or East coast point and you can export from there. They will probably deliver to any point in the US free freight. Be prepared to prepay on this quantity if you are not an established customer. I have handled this quantity on a couple of occassions but not overseas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as the scams, you should always receive funds via eft or wired to your account and make sure they can not be reversed. Remember, most credit card companies have a ZERO LIABILITY clause for card holders so if a card has been stolen and you accept it for payment, your account can be charged-back and the funds reversed. The burden of proof will rest on the merchant (YOU) and you can not imagine trying to nab a scam artist in another country. The good scam folks have the cardholder's name, address and know the cvv code on the back of the card. Things to watch for are rush orders, blank goods, unusual sizes and foreign addresses. I am not trying to deter you from going after legitimate business, just be careful and use common sense. If they are in a hurry, BEWARE:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts