T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

First my Green Galaxy colors are WAY too thin. It’s 4:30pm right now and I left them outside to evaporate since 10am but I don’t see much difference :( and it’s just too horrible having to deal with milk like ink

2. I screen printer with yellow. Used white green galaxy for the underbase and then use Speedball yellow ink for the top since the Green galaxy ink it’s way to thin and I dislike it because I feel it barely leaves any ink (I’m using) 180 mesh ) here’s the problem. I just use my easy press (the temperature was 320) to cure the yellow and the yellow just... disappeared? It was a neon light yellow and it faded

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Perhaps the SpeedBall ink is not compatible with GG?

Other than the white, normal water base inks are on the thin side, GG more so than Permaset Aqua. Water base isn't Plastisol, and except for inks specifically made to be opaque (any white, and the entire Permaset SuperCover line), they are thin and intended to be absorbed into the fabric, as opposed to Plastisol, which sits on top of the fabric and covers it up.

For top coating an underbase, 180 might be a little more open than you need, but it should work. I've used 200 with GG as a top coat with no issues. 156 passed too much ink. Experiment on some scrap shirts, you'll get it figured out. Uhm, and put the lids back on your ink! :p

If you want to skip the whole underbase/top-coat routine, get Permaset SuperCover in the color you want. These are colored inks that are opaque all on their own and do not need an underbase. This is the route I went for prints on dark shirts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah... it but have been that :( that’s so sad since the color was really pretty until heated lol

Thank you!! By any chance is the Permaset supercover safe or toxic? I’m trying not to buy toxic paints that’s why I’m using waterbase ink :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Green Galaxy is good ink.
You can use ink thickener if you want it thicker.
Speedball is rubbish... All their light colors fade when dry.
I’m trying not to buy toxic paints that’s why I’m using waterbase ink
Waterbased are just as toxic as plastisol. Mild toxicity that is.
Here is what you are using Speedball-Fabric-Screen-Printing-Inks. Not exactly carrot juice.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Yeah... it but have been that :( that’s so sad since the color was really pretty until heated lol

Thank you!! By any chance is the Permaset supercover safe or toxic? I’m trying not to buy toxic paints that’s why I’m using waterbase ink :)
Permaset is free of heavy metals, Phthalates, etc. Less "chemical" smell than Matsui. But all inks should be used with ventilation, and never used as mayo on your sandwich ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts