T-Shirt Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
184 Posts
IMO all of this should of been thought through before you launched your shop.
If you fear that someone might steal your ideas, copyright them and let the law deal with the theif. Of course you need to be aware of any violations and take appropriate actions. Your best bet is to be totally honest about your intentions, wether it is for profit or not. Your response shocked me, it almost sounded as if you haven't used the be honest techique very often.
"You'll Experiment with that" statements like this makes one question your personal values and what's right or wrong.
Your product information should be posted in much detail, sizes, colors styles and brands. So that the customer can get a better understanding about the products you offer.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think you took my statements out of context. Experiment based off of honeyflip's comment "here's what we think about patriotism, etc., and, by the way, we'd like to make a few bucks while we're at it."

Possibly in trying to sell a concept, I overlooked specifying details of the shirt quality which are all very good and that the shirts are screenprinted, etc. I wasn't trying to hide any of this. With the other's feedback I also think I need to somehow bluntly specify that my company is for profit. Experimenting is doing this in a blunt yet appealing way.

The reason I joined this is to give and get valuable feedback, not to get my integrity questioned or question anyones.

· Registered
184 Posts
I would add the information about "The Profit" in your services area, or anywhere you feel it would be appropriate. You could say something like this: Due to the cost of our premium t- shirts we will be making a profit off of every sale to keep our business running smoothly." Or something of this nature. You mentioned that you spend quite a bit for your shirts, maybe you could use this fact as your starting point?
Good luck!

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I think the real question is, is there a contradiction in trying to sell these types of products for a profit? Is there an inherent contradiction in that I'm trying to sell a product with the phrase "patriotism cannot be owned"? Some of the phrases I don't think are problematic at all, like "Red White and Blue are My Colors Too"(TM)j/kLOL
or Be a Patriot on Your Own Terms.

Maybe I should get rid of the "cannot be owned" .. the last thing I want is a message that is or appears to be hypocritical. What about the concept in general... does it strike anyone as inherently hypocritical, selling shirts while trying to promote patriotism with a purpose...

· Premium Member
13,203 Posts
laylaazure said:
Is there an inherent contradiction in that I'm trying to sell a product with the phrase "patriotism cannot be owned"?
There is, but it's not insurmountable.

laylaazure said:
Maybe I should get rid of the "cannot be owned" .. the last thing I want is a message that is or appears to be hypocritical.
It's worth considering (it would make things easier), but it is an important part of your message.

There is a difference between owning something and making a profit off it. At the moment your site is trying to own a concept exclusively so that no-one else can share in it, and that does provide a contradiction. The problem isn't that you're selling things, so much as that by putting trademark notices everywhere you are asserting your ownership of something you've just said can't be owned.

When you are selling a product you are not necessarily (primarily) selling a product - you may be selling the service to create that product. For example: a publisher printing a public domain novel isn't selling the novel (which you can legally get online for free), so much as they are selling their ability to put it in a convenient format for you. If I buy a cake, I'm not buying a cake as much as I am buying the service to not have to make it myself. It's just different ways of looking at things.

When your product is not unique (or could be created by someone themselves at home) you are not selling your product, as much as you are selling someone the ability to get something they're interested in right now with minimal effort. People are happy to give you money because there are costs involved, and it beats printing a shirt themselves (which they may not be able to do in a cost effective manner anyway).

You can sell a product/service for profit - just don't be too blatant about asserting your ownsership over something that can't be owned.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.