T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i'm new to the site. I have been making signs for over 2 years and i'm looking to get into garment printing have just bought a heat press, so be prepared for some stupid questions and do for give me. lol:D

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome. The trasnfer industry can be very profitable.

i think it would be well worth adding to my sign shop, i often have people asking me if i do it, so now, with a bit of your help:D i will be able to.
anyone recomend what i should do, i have an oki c5600 laser printer (that i used in my shop anyway) and heat press at the min but i have done nothing yet. (only just found out you could use the oki for laser transfers.) i was think of getting in to dye sub with an epson printer and ciss.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you looking along the lines of adding garment via dye sub? If so, that process works best with polyester fabric, are you aware of that?

well if it can be done just as good with a laser printer (that i already have) i will stick with that. i will probally buy a dye sub system at some point. which process would be best? or is that a debate i'm starting

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
well if it can be done just as good with a laser printer (that i already have) i will stick with that. i will probally buy a dye sub system at some point. which process would be best? or is that a debate i'm starting

No, no debate. Here are a few threads for you:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t37985.html

Those get into the different print methods and folks feelings on them. :)

Dye sub is awesome to make a whole mess of consumables. The dye sub ink is expensive tho, but worth it if you have the market to keep yourself in profit.

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
thanks, i'm learning so much already! so you can't print on dark garments with laser?:confused::mad: how come there's dark transfer paper? printing white must be out of the question then?

Well, you can print on dark tees with laser, I learned after, but it's as good as not being able to from what I hear from the folks who have tried it because it is expensive and *un* fun to do (new word for dark lasers). :)

Here are some posts on the dark for laser: (I updated the print quality thread to include this link, but it's in the back of the thread now)
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t57369.html#post340627
and another:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t34162.html#post342436

No printing of white ink, you'll need a DTG that prints with white for that. Not all DTG's print white ink, either.

The "opaque paper" is opaque so it does not show the color of the shirt thru it, and that provides the white in the design as well.

For designs for dark shirts that have white where you do not want to include the white on the finished shirt, you need to cut it away by hand or with a "cutter" that does "contour cutting".

Additional alternatives for dark shirts are plastisols and vinyl. Some vinyl is very soft.

· Premium Member
7,117 Posts
With laser, there is a white toner available that you can use. I have not really seen too much feedback on it here, I believe mystysue was going to post about it, but I cant find it haha. Here is a link that talks about the white laser toner, and it also has a link to where you can find it http://www.t-shirtforums.com/dye-sublimation/t7885.html. Hope this helps.

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
No printing of white ink, you'll need a DTG that prints with white for that. Not all DTG's print white ink, either.
Potluck, correction: with inkjet printers :), lasers are not my thing, I have never heard of this product. I did ask for more info in that thread (above in the link) on that process, so I'll be checking in for more feedback on that. The laser people here talk about dark shirts. I wonder why noone talks about this. :confused:

This link says it does cotton, as well as 50/50... so I'm interested to hear the lowdown as well. It says sublimation white toner, yet works with cotton. :confused: :)
White Sublimation Laser Toner!

Okay, we wait, or I wait... :D

(PS: I don't know if you have that kind of money to get into this process, but it sure is interesting to find out about these things.)

Mystysue did post that she does 50/50 shirts with it, and they come out great, and I respect Mytysue's opinion, she's awesome. So that's a good sign. I'm just curious why no one really uses this. :confused:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the help. My brain is starting to fry so much info in such a short time. lol. so i'm deciding that vinyl is the way to go for lettering and 1-2 pos 3 colour vector graphics. But for pictures i want to use the laser could you recomend a paper for dark that will show the white in the back ground i will contour cut and i'm not to worried about it feeling heavy ( i actually quite like that in hoodies and tee's i've bought in the past) as long as it won't fade, peal or crack after the 1st few washes. and also a paper for the light grments. Laser Dark Transfer Paper, Opaque Transfer Paper | New Milford Photo WOULD THIS BE ANY GOOD.

· Premium Member
7,895 Posts
I know, Alan.. I remember that feeling, and will have it again shortly as I head into cutter and corel work.

If you go to post#11 in this thread, and head to either of those links, most likely the inkjet vs laser, and ask those laser folks. Luis and the others are great, and they actually *do* the laser process, so they will be able to give you the best info. Best regards, Kelly :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.