T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After having the worst year of my life:( and its not even half over yet, I decided i needed a change in my life. I always wanted to work in the fashion industry, but never pursued. Now i have this strong desire to create my own tshirt line that will grow to accessories, like tote bags and jewelry. I have no idea where to start. All i have is the name i want on my tag and the two characters that i want featured in my line. I have a bunch of sayings as well. Unfortunetly, I can not draw or design for the life of me...so i know i will need help there. I hope i'm correct here, do i file a copyright for my line and trademark the 2 characters? do i start a corporation or llc....i'm in debt up to the sky, so i would be working out of my house. I think thats it for now....have a great day/night :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Don't do the LLC or corporation... You can't afford it. Just go to the state office in your area and get a sales tax number and a license if your state requires a license. Then you are in business as your name dba your comany name. Sole proprietor...All other taxes and expenses go into your form 1040 at the end of the year. The hardest part of being in business is doing the books for most people. Get some software and track every penny involved. Good luck and a sunny summer. Oscar

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hi Roxanne, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

You may be able to trademark the characters if they are also your "brand". Trademarks are meant to protect brands, not ideas or t-shirt slogans.

You may also be able to copyright your designs, but it's probably best to either do more research on the US Copyright /Trademark sites or talk to lawyer about what you can and can't copyright/trademark.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I see a lot of people wanting to go into the tee shirt business and the first thing they think of is incorporating or getting trademarks and all the other stuff that businesses do when they have partners or a lot of employees or brick and mortar stores. What you really need to do is get a DBA from your county. If you sell retail a sales tax number and register your web name and build a website. get your designs ready for the web and your equipment that you will use to operate your business. You may want to make up a business plan and really figure out what your business is all about. I believe unless you have one foot in this business you should not go over board with all the "Big Business" stuff. Concentrate on what you are going to do as a business. Plan, plan, plan. because you have a few ideas that does not make you ready to go into business. I was in retail for over 30 years, the last 10 with the federal government operating retail operations in VA hospitals in Los Angeles(Largest operation of 172). I see so many people fail not for lack of trying but because they put their money into the wrong place.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Badalou, one should never ignore your advise. I learn so much from so many people on this site but you are one of the ones that make me take out pencil and pad. A special thank you for the time you take to help the newbies like myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Everyone,

Thank you for responding so quickly....I will use all of your info and recommendations....I really enjoy this website, everyone is so informative :) if i have anymore questions...i will post again in whatever forum i may need help in....thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts