T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

My name is Dedi and I am starting my own graphic design company with my partner Emme Walls. Combined we have over 6 years experience in print design and event marketing. We are trying to get into t shirt design but have hit a couple of roadblocks. I joined this forum to get an honest answers about the T shirt industry so we can better market our services. More specifically I would like to get information on the best printers and different types of selling techniques such as how to create an online store, how to market our t shirts to boutique stores and how to submit proposals to big corporations. I thank you in advance for your kind words of wisdom.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Hi Dedi, welcome to the forums.

There are really a lot of factors that go into the answers to your questions. Much of it depends on your specific business model, since there are usually several ways to accomplish something. These answers are general, but feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more specifics.

More specifically I would like to get information on the best printers
"Best" is a bit subjective. If you are looking for retail quality printing, I would suggest finding a screen printer that uses waterbase and discharge inks.

different types of selling techniques such as how to create an online store
There are many e-commerce solutions for creating an online store. But selling really depends on your marketing plan, driving traffic to your site and converting sales. SEO is also very important. Do you plan on your site being your main sales outlet? Or supplemental to other outlets? Knowing this will help you set your budget and goals for an online store.

how to market our t shirts to boutique stores
Good old fashioned door to door sales. Depending on the store, you will want to contact the owner or buyer. Make an appointment to show them your samples and ask them to place an order.

how to submit proposals to big corporations.
Needless to say, this is a highly competitive market with a broad range from WalMart to Bloomingdales.

Selling wholesale is similar to the boutiques. Contact the buyer that best describes your product and make an appointment to show samples. The biggest challenge is having your costs low enough and taking razor thin margins so you can offer maximum margins to the retailer.

Or you can try licensing your brand. This is generally reserved for established or celebrity brands. You would probably want to hook up with a licensing agency to broker the deal.

Or you can pitch a private label. Major retailers usually have departments that handle this, but if your concept is good enough, maybe they will bite.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts