T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined tshirt forums today, because it seems to be a very helpfull web site. I have a question, maybe some of you might know.

What is best, tshirtmojo or cafepress? I am looking to start my tshirt store too. Do you know the investment necessary on these websites? Are there softwares that we can buy so we can create designs on our computers?

Thank you for your help, and i hope that we'll get to talk more.

Sincerely,

Damien

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello, and welcome!

Printmojo and Cafepress have very different business models - they're alike in that, well, you end up with shirts :), and each one lets you set up your online shop, processes orders, and handles customer service relating to orders.

Cafepress is entirely print-on-demand, and uses full color reproduction with professional heat transfer equipment. Their process only works on white and light-colored garments. It's possible to start a "Basic" Cafepress account for free and set up one or more somewat limited stores, or to pay a reasonable fee for a "Premium" shop with more flexibility and customization. You don't pay for any inventory because there isn't any; they don't print anything until a customer orders it.

Printmojo is the online presence of a silk screen printing company. You are not limited to white or pale shirts, but the process used is (so far as I know) limited to spot color reproduction. You pay for your inventory in advance in quantities as low as 24 shirts, but your cost per item decreases dramaticaly if you're printing larger quantities.

Both services allow you to set your own markup on items, and in both cases, the effort of marketing your work is squarely on your shoulders. Cafepress is constantly trying to set up a workable shopping portal, but you really need to handle the marketing yourself.

Anyway there are forums here for both services, so you can dig in a little, and maybe come up with specific questions as you do. Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Printmojo has been excellent on a number of fronts - especially as far as the printing and quality were concerned. The shirts I just received were perfect! Let me know if you have any specific questions - I just went through the whole process of setting up a shirt business through printmojo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's great! I am going to be able to find out a lot about print mojo. So what is a good buget to start off?
Do they advertise your store?
Do you know if it is possible to ask them to send you the tshirts and not have them sell them for you?
Is it really worth it, do people actually find access to your tshirt store easly?
Can you have them make pretty much any design, or do you have to design yourself? And if you do, are you aware of a good software?

Thank you very much for your help, i appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Damien

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
If you want someone to print shirts for you and you yourself handle shipping/selling/distribution, then you should check with some local screen printers. You'll save the cost of having the shirts shipped to you at the very least that way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
>>That's great! I am going to be able to find out a lot about print mojo. So what is a good buget to start off?

We started with $2000. That is probably a little low, but hopefully it works.

>>Do they advertise your store?

They don't advertise your shirts. That's up to you.

>>Do you know if it is possible to ask them to send you the tshirts and not have them sell them for you?

If you have them send you the shirts, there are screen printing charges that apply, raising the total cost quite substantially.

>>Is it really worth it, do people actually find access to your tshirt store easly?

It's hard to tell how easily people find the printmojo website, but you can create your own website and integrate it with their script.

>>Can you have them make pretty much any design, or do you have to design yourself? And if you do, are you aware of a good software?

You have to design the shirts yourself, and they'll print pretty much anything. I used Illustrator for the whole project. Vectors make the prints look really nice. You can also use photoshop or any illustration software.

Thank you very much for your help, i appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Damien[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Is Adobe illustrator easy to use?
It is easy to use, but will require a steep learning curve. There are tons of tools in illustrator. It just takes a long time to learn what they all do and how to use them all. I would reccomend reading tutorials on the internet, or buying a book.

And can you design pretty much anything you want?
Illustrator is for vector graphics. If you want to edit photographs, or other jpgs, photoshop might be better for you. You can alot of stuff in illustrator though, one you get the hang od it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts