T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Jackie and I live in NYC (harlem). I had always made t-shirts for myself (home made iron)and never though of doing this for a living.

Since there is tons of hi fashion t-shirts in my community (sean john, dkny, nautica, tommy, etc...), I figured no one will buy my shirts. Well, think again! It is the summer time now and we are having tons of basketball tournaments, bbq family reunions, and team outfits that need to be personalized. WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT!

Well, yesterday i purchased the HIX PRESTO 15 and tried it out. Man! this thing is huge and heavy! I didn't expect such a thing. It was a bit expensive $ 559.00 and I needed something soon so I could grab as much customers before anyone else. So far, I have 1 basketball event that needs about 80 shirts + more to sell for to the fans! Then, their is a community daycare center who will need shirts and bags! Hey! I know I will have $ 500 back in my pocket before the end of this month.

However, i noticed when I used the Hix Presto, it could be a little hard (setting pressure, tempature, and time). I am going to practice everyday and everynight before I take on anymore projects. I hope and pray that all will work out well $$$$! hahaha....

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You'll want to start by getting and using quality materials. You'll probably want an Epson printer and some kind of pigmented inks (either OEM Durabrite inks or Magic Mix). Transjet II / Magic Jet is the best paper to use that I know of. Gildan 2000 is what I'd recommend for shirt type (for uni-sex/male shirts, that is).

For Transjet II paper, you'll want to use a medium to heavy pressure, a tempreture about 375 degrees, and press for about 15 seconds.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Hi Jackie, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums!

Since there is tons of hi fashion t-shirts in my community (sean john, dkny, nautica, tommy, etc...), I figured no one will buy my shirts.
Never discount yourself :) There is always room for more quality t-shirts and unique designs.

Plus, you've stumbled upon a nice market for custom shirts for your community, so that could turn into even more opportunities!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

I am in a simular situation. I have not bought a machine yet. I am wanting to make a decision on buying one soon. I am an artist that paints whimiscal art for children. I started having my prints done on t-shirts, bags and other stuff. I got an offer that just fell in my lap. A lady who owns her own daycare asked me if I would be interested in printing her summer t's for the kids when I get my machine. I was so excited until I found out that she needed them on bright colored shirts. I know this may be a dumb question but I am not sure I understand why my stuff cannot be heat pressed on bright colored shirts. Is there any suggestions you guys can give me? I am going to be picking up small jobs like this on the side. I am a stay at home mom and in the spring and summer I do some of the arts and crafts shows. My point is that I need to use a heat press and not screen printing.

Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Shyley said:
...I was so excited until I found out that she needed them on bright colored shirts. I know this may be a dumb question but I am not sure I understand why my stuff cannot be heat pressed on bright colored shirts.
You can heat press a transfer to any color shirt as far as I'm aware. I've used regular transfer paper for lights, pale, and whites and opaque transfer paper for darks, and I'm assuming you can use this paper on brights to get what you're looking for. Depending on the number of colors in your designs, you can even get a screenprinter to screen a carrier paper for you and still heat press it on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thankyou,
Where can I buy the opaque transfer paper for darks? Can this paper be used for lights too or do I need two seperate types of paper? Also can a screen printer be used for regular transfer paper or do I need to have two different printers? Do you have any recommendations for a screen printer and a heat press? Do you have a particular brand? So many questions. :)
Thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
Shyley said:
Thankyou,
Where can I buy the opaque transfer paper for darks? Can this paper be used for lights too or do I need two seperate types of paper? Also can a screen printer be used for regular transfer paper or do I need to have two different printers? Do you have any recommendations for a screen printer and a heat press? Do you have a particular brand? So many questions. :)
Thanks
You can buy opaque transfer paper at TLM Supply House or Alpha Supply Company. Search the forums for the most loved. You can use it for lights but it's more expensive and you run into the white border I mentioned.

You need a heat press to apply these papers. A heat press can also apply the screenprinted transfers I mentioned (called "plastisol transfers"). I currently use Silver Mountain Graphics, as do many around here. You can send them a .jpg and they will not charge you to set up the screens or transform it to vector. They are knowledgeable and extremely nice.

Press brands, I'd suggest searching the forums for that too. Hix seems to be mentioned frequently and can be had for under $1000 in 15X15.

You're welcome.

B.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts