T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going all?

Couple questions........I'm starting a hiphop clothing company and I want to emphasize quality with my clothing. This leads to the question
Does the weight of the t-shirt relate directly with the quality of the t-shirt?

From my personal experience the more thick the material of the shirt I wore, the more I viewed it as high quality.

Next question is - What is the heaviest t-shirt on the market? I've found ProClub at 6.2 oz, and I found a website that sells 7.6 oz shirts LINK - http://www.wholesaledirectusa.com/search.cfm?search=yes&rugnumber=tee

Are there any thicker shirts I can find? The link only sells shirts at the sizes of xxl +....but I need sizes M, L, XL, XXL, & XXXL. Any help and knowledge would be great.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
DriverInc said:
Does the weight of the t-shirt relate directly with the quality of the t-shirt?
No.

DriverInc said:
From my personal experience the more thick the material of the shirt I wore, the more I viewed it as high quality.
Some people certainly feel this way (others feel the exact opposite). I presume that your demographic prefers oversized shirts - does liking a thicker shirt go along with this?

Thickness and quality aren't strongly related, but that doesn't really matter - what matters are your customers' perceptions. It's possible they perceive them as being directly related, which is a lot more important than reality.

DriverInc said:
Next question is - What is the heaviest t-shirt on the market?
I've seen a few places listing their shirt weight as 10.1 - to be honest that confuses the heck out of me, as standard weights are 5.4 and 6.1... I can't see how a shirt would be 10.1 (sounds more like a towel). I'm told AA shirts are something like 4.3, and as you mentioned there are 7+ shirts... given that range though 10.1 seems like a huge leap.

Anyone know what's going on there? A different measurement system? They're making a mistake? Or there really are 10.1 shirts?

(I can't remember which brand it was, but it was one of the large brands - Fruit of the Loom, Gildan, or Haines)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
The 10.1 ounce shirts might be what I've seen called "Canadian Ounces".

For example, Jerico Sportswear has a shirt that they label as 9 canadian oz and 6 US ounces:
http://www.jericosport.com/24.html

So if the 10.1 ounce shirt you saw was similar, it seems like it would still be a pretty heavyweight shirt (7.1 US ounces).

Proclub seems to be the choice for urbanwear t-shirts. That particular market likes oversized, heavyweight t-shirts and Proclub has a "tall tee" that is a few inches longer than regular sized tees.

Some people think lighter weight t-shirts are better (for practical climate reasons) so there's no hard and fast rule for thickness + weight = quality. It all depends on your market.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great posts Rodney & Solmu!

(this is offtopic) But in Urban Apparel clothing, they have the tags on the bottom right of the shirt. Do you know any companies that do this?? I would really want my brand to have this feature.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rodney said:
Many screen printers or apparel decorators (relabelers) will do this.
Thanks again for the responses Rodney & Co.

I really appreciate every bit of knowledge.

Ok I have a couple more questions. Let's say your purchasing from a wholesale t-shirt company and they don't have the t-shirt color you desire. Is there any method/technology/company that can change the color of the shirt to get the specific color you want? May be a dumb question...but I'm curious.

Second. I'm starting to get an idea of the prices that I'm going to be paying...can you guys give me your opinions?

Ok this is for 440 t-shirts (all in canadian prices)

Each individual shirt costs $3.00.

Screenprinting charges
For 3 colours front 2.00 each + 60.00 set up charge
2 colour back 1.50 each + 40.00 set up charge

ReLabelling

20cents to remove, and 50cents for each label. I also need a front tag....so add another 50cents

Total equals $3,448 which comes to $7.97 a shirt.

Am I getting ripped off? Normal prices? Or Good Deal (which I doubt I'm getting)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Direct... that link at the top of the post said "Extra Thick 7.6 oz(215 gsm)" but 215gsm = 6.33 Oz/Sq Yd and 7.6Oz/Sq Yd = 258.34 gsm so that sounds incorrect. I would say possibky they are confused and from the looks of their website its a high possibility.

I don't know. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong conversion chart myself. if so, somebody please tell me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't look at the site you referenced, but as there are 28.35 grams per ounce, 215 grams would be around 7.6 oz (215 / 28.35). I think perhaps your conversion is treating square meters and square yards as the same?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, This is Mohammed Shakir, from Wholesale Direct USA, who sell Hood 7.6 oz t-shirts.

I hope people from this forum or my customers, are not going to kill me for telling the truth. I like to be honest with myself and definitely honest with you people.

I would like to say, your calculation is correct. I did not know about this conversion, until a month ago, when I tried to manufacturer some t-shirts overseas and during an inspection, I found 193gsm was converted to 5.7 oz./square-yard. This came as a true shock to me.

People should actually check GSM to make sure the thickness of the clothe they are buying and not Ounces(Oz.). The reason, I have found, so far, ProClub and Lux-T use the right convention. Proclub uses 6.3 oz(which is actually oz./square yard and not simply oz.) for their 215gsm t-shirts and Lux-t is doing the same. There may be others, but, I am still digging to find them.

Many of the other US manufacturer and wholesalers, seem to follow another convention. That is 5.6 oz is 160-170gsm, 6.1 oz for 180-195 gsm and 7.1 oz for 200+ gsm. They acutally seem to use Oz rather than oz./square-yard.

I started in NY city wholesale market and I found above convention being used. The conversion factor that I found at that time was one once equals to 28.349 grams. According to this convention 7.6 oz. does equal to 215 grams. However, this conversion factor is for any material except clothe. I did not know at that time I had picked up the wrong convention.

The acutal conversion formula for clothe is:
One oz/square-yard * 33.90574745 = grams/square-meter

Here 6.3 oz/square-yard is equivalent to 215gsm. This is what ProClub uses. Similarly Lux-t uses the same formula. Mosly overseas manufacturer specify in GSM and not Oz./square-yard so they are fine.

So why I did not change my website?

I started buying and checking products from other US manufacturers. To my surprise even two large US manuacturers in addition to NY City wholesalers all seemed to use my wrong convention. That is one oz. = 28.349 grams. Conversion factor that is for material other than clothe.

I found 5.6 oz. t-shirts between 160-170gsm, 6.1 oz t-shirts close to 180-185gsm and even 7 oz polos close to 210 gsm. When I inquired the salers, about the gsm, I did not get any response on GSM. One manufacturer responded, "they import t-shirts as 5.6 oz. and 6.1 oz and they do not know the GSM". Another saler responded with, "we are looking into it and get back to me". Couple of old timer in t-shirts wholesale and manufacturing business, who were honest, confirmed your formula. They added people use the other formula because the oz. numbers look bigger and products sell.

To be consistent with majority of the US wholesalers, I decided to keep 7.6 oz(not oz./square-yard) and now using 215gsm for true comparison. I just hope people would use GSM as a true comparion rather than oz. as most of the sellers use Oz. numbers as oz. rather than oz./square-yard.

Even though I have said positive things about ProClub and Lux-T, I do not sell either of these two products. I did not mention other manufacturers or wholesalers names for obvious reasons. Most of my observations are not scientific as I do not have right tools to check the gsm. However, I used known GSM t-shirts to compare the other t-shirts I bought or acquired through various sources.

I hope this would clear up matter about gsm vs. oz and help others in buying decision, no matter what t-shirts and where they buy from.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hi Mohammed, thanks for the gsm v oz breakdown and thanks for taking the time to register and post in the forums! Your site is mentioned quite a bit for the urban market.

:welcome:

I hope you'll stick around and continue to share some of your t-shirt knowledge with us :)

I'm hoping to learn more about the overseas custom garment manufacturing process.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used to think I sold the thickest t-shirt in the market place. I found from GSM perspective, ProClub Heavy weight and my Hood Premium 7.6 oz t-shirts came out to be close as both are 215gsm.

Now I noticed that Luxe-T (LXT-21) with 7.2 oz(I believe it is oz./square-yard) should be equivalent to 244gsm. This means this would be thickest t-shirts in the market place.

You should keep one thing in mind. This t-shirt according to Luxe-T website uses Premium combed cotton. Softness of the material does tend to decrease the thickness feel of the material. So you should not get alarmed, if you find yourself in this dealima. this is natural.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Rodney,

Thanks for the encouragement. I accidently found your website 2-3 weeks ago and have been reading your threads on your forum and wanted to share my knowledge on your forum. I am glad I did.

I hope to be service to people in this forum.

As far as overseas buying is concerned. It can be a nightmare. Anything that could go wrong will. So there is lots of risk envolved. Mostly, the distance is the problem. It is very difficult to convey what you want. It is quite expensive to ship samples back and forth. Even after writing emails, day after day, talking on the phone regularly, you never know what kind of products you are going to receive. So far I found three manufacturers. All honest, my luck. However, the quality is hard to get what we are used to. Unless your rep is there continuously monitoring the quality as the products are made, you can not get the right merchandize. This does not mean I would give up. It means, I got to keep working until I find someone, who believes in quality as our customers do. So the search is still on, while keep running the business the best I can.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Since I am in the t-shirts selling business, I hear a lot from my customers. Some of the comments might be help to you.

1. Some customers even though loved Hood 7.6 oz.(215 gsm), t-shirts, they preferred my 190+gsm t-shirts during printing. So there are customers for both types.

2. 215gsm t-shirts do not come cheap. So you have to sell them at much higher prces. Even though ProClubs are heavy weight 215gsm and in heavy demand, you could still miss a large number of price conscious customers. ProClub as I hear from my customers is number one t-shirt in California, due to its heavy weight nature and I found customers all over USA for 215gsm t-shirts. So definitely market is big. However, you must carry both type intially, so you can sell enough t-shirts to survive.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In my personal view, the weight of apparel is not relative to the quality,moreover. the more heavier, the more expensive. so i think for the t-shirt buying, firstly, you should care whether the t-shirts will be attractive for your customers. Secondly, it's the quality itself, usually you can get the free samples from suppliers to check it out.

Anyway, good luck for your business.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi, mshakir you said 7.6oz was = to 215 GSM but according to what this other person said in another post here: http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-buying-discussion/t7178.html 260gsms =7.67 oz/s.

This whole thing is confusing!!! Which conversion method is the standard?

I wish there was an online calculator that I could use to decipher what GSM I can tell my manufacturer to make my shirts in order to get around 7.5 oz t-shirts! It really should NOT be this difficult!

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
This whole thing is confusing!!! Which conversion method is the standard?
The conversion Ky_swish gave in the other thread is correct for US measurements. There are also metric ounces (a truly idiotic concept), which can confuse things a little. The biggest problem though is that a lot of people overlook the fact that this is an area measurement and not a linear measurement (resulting in even more idiotic misinformation).

·
Registered
125 Posts
The heaviest Sweatshirt we produced is 280gsm, very very heavy, but it doesn't mean the quality is better than a 180gsm shirt, no, not at all.
PS:GSM means Gram per Square Meter. I saw some of you prefer using OZ to describe the weight of t-shirt, that's ok but most of Apparel company would like to use GSM. OZ is used to be describe denim wear, especially, Jeans.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I saw some of you prefer using OZ to describe the weight of t-shirt
The majority of members are located in the US, which is one of three countries in the world that doesn't use the metric system (along with Liberia and Myanmar). Ounces per square yard is the standard measurement system in the US since the metric GSM measurement has no place there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The conversion Ky_swish gave in the other thread is correct for US measurements. There are also metric ounces (a truly idiotic concept), which can confuse things a little. The biggest problem though is that a lot of people overlook the fact that this is an area measurement and not a linear measurement (resulting in even more idiotic misinformation).
So I raise the question again... when dealing with an oversees manufacturer from... lets say India... which conversion method should I use and/or refer to when describing my intended shirt weight?

For instance, if someone sent me a sample and said it was 220 or 240 GSM what would I assume the U.S. oz equivalent of that is? I want to be sure not to order a shirt that is an unintended weight. If I could be sure of the U.S. oz equivalent I could compare it to what domestic samples I have such as the Hanes Beefy-T, or AA Diamond Star.

Also, because the material I want is ringspun does this mean the shirt may not feel as thick as a single jersey of the same GSM? I received a sample in single jersey cotton but requested my products be manufactured as ringspun cotton in the same GSM weight. Will I be dissapointed at the feel of the thickness? Would you recommend I request a higher GSM to accomodate the difference? If so, by how much would you suggest?

Thanks by the way. This is helpful and useful information.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts