T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about Chromablast and Sublimation and they seem pretty cool, and seem to work. However, recently I have seen places with already created heat transfers, or heat transfer paper you use yourself.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Looking to see if it is worth buying the expensive inks, paper, and printer for sublimation and chromablast, or if I can just use heat transfer paper with my Cannon photo printer.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have been reading about Chromablast and Sublimation and they seem pretty cool, and seem to work. However, recently I have seen places with already created heat transfers, or heat transfer paper you use yourself.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Looking to see if it is worth buying the expensive inks, paper, and printer for sublimation and chromablast, or if I can just use heat transfer paper with my Cannon photo printer.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul
There's tons of options for making a shirt, I'll cover the few you are asking about:

"already created heat transfers": Quite a few companies design and sell these. ProWorld is a company that deals with all kinds of transfers, the only equipment you'll need is a heat press and blank shirts. Already made transfers are generally the same quality as screen printed t-shirts, thus will last lots of washing, and have a "soft hand" (you can feel the design to the touch, but do not ever really notice it's there). Eventually the design will start to wash out, but usually you've already got holes in the armpit and various other places before it gets too bad. These transfers work for darks and lights.

ChromaBlast: Touted to be sublimation for Cotton, I've heard some good tihng sabout it, but do not personally know enough about it, if it's as similar to sublimation as they state, it will have no hand, as it will be bound to the material, and should last the life of the material. You will need the special inks, special paper, heat press, and shirt. Only works for light garments.

Sublimation: Can only be used on Polyester shirts, but can provide you with other items to create (name tags, mugs, etc). You will need the special inks, special paper, heat press, and shirt. Has no hand and should last the life of the material. Only works for light garments.

"heat transfer paper that you print yourself": This is more than likely an inkjet transfer. I wouldn't suggest buying anything from an office supply store, or you may be greatly disappointed. The ones from the store will probably have a very heavy hand (feels like you're wearing the design, not a shirt) and have a poor life. There are some really decent new papers out there though, JetPro SoftStretch (JPSS) I've heard has a soft hand and a good lifetime. One of the other issues with inkjet papers is the design needs to be trimmed out. JPSS is a light only solution, I seem to recall hearing some ok things about ironall for darks, but think Dark's are still needing an excellent material. You can get by with just your printer and heat press for awhile, but some folks use a vinyl cutter to help with the trimming (only works with vinyl that has a release liner like JPSS).

Plastisol transfers weren't mentioned in your post, but are just like the "already created heat transfers". A screen printer puts the ink onto special paper instead of a shirt, and you can then heat press the design onto a shirt. Lifetime and color options are pretty much the same as the "already created heat transfers" description. Just need your heat press and a shirt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts