T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a bit on what you can and cannot do with hat heat transfers.

What Im looking for is images of your works if you have done successfull transfers to hats.

I know I wont be able to do all over print type designs but id like to know how much of an area I can cover

im not looking to just do transfers to the front of the hats but possible do them on all sides.. not all at once but id like to try it.

So i would like to know the good or the not so good of what can and cant be done.

and if you have examples please post them here id like to see, and yes im searching google right after this post.

Thnaks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. If you have researched hat presses, you will be aware that a typical platen size is around 6" x 3". This is the biggest practical size to do in one pressing and is usually in excess of any individual panel size on a hat.

Hats generally tend to come in two variants, five panel and six panel. The five panel is the preferred option for transfers as the front panel is free of seams. Print to the rear of the hats is difficult, as the velcro fastenings usually have a cutaway intruding into the rear panels.

Both transfers and cut vinyl can work well with hats.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi. If you have researched hat presses, you will be aware that a typical platen size is around 6" x 3". This is the biggest practical size to do in one pressing and is usually in excess of any individual panel size on a hat.

Hats generally tend to come in two variants, five panel and six panel. The five panel is the preferred option for transfers as the front panel is free of seams. Print to the rear of the hats is difficult, as the velcro fastenings usually have a cutaway intruding into the rear panels.

Both transfers and cut vinyl can work well with hats.

Hope this helps.

Great info, sorry I guess I didn't reaserch that much cause i didnt know the platen sizes, but i did find a company who sells a 4 x 8 platen for Foam Front Platens.

Now does this mean that it can only be used for foam priducts or is this just named after the size relating to the hats.

but i will give more detail on my ideas, im hoping to place the designs on fitted type hats and im also looking to print over seems.

From what ive seen on most of my hats they are all fitted and are all 6 panel hats. I have my eye on the New Era Hats .. Im looking to buy maybe a few and go to a shop that offers this service and see what they can do, before i decide to purchase a machine of my own.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I like doing hats with a heat press. I have done front,back and sides. I would think you could do top also. I wish you the best of luck. .... JB

·
Registered
360 Posts
I like doing hats with a heat press. I have done front,back and sides. I would think you could do top also. I wish you the best of luck. .... JB

JB,

Can you elaborate on your process please?
That sounds interesting.

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have no pics, but would gladly try to help you all with questions. Please feel free to ask them or send me a pm either way. I do a lot of corperate apparel and usually never snap pics. I realize, I should for no other reason than to share them here. .... JB

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have no pics, but would gladly try to help you all with questions. Please feel free to ask them or send me a pm either way. I do a lot of corperate apparel and usually never snap pics. I realize, I should for no other reason than to share them here. .... JB
Thanks JB,

If you could, could you just explain how you would normally go about using a cap using a heat press and printing on the areas that you mentioned?
(Each step, etc.)
I haven't heard that before, and if I PM'd you, others wouldn't know how it was done, so if you can, please go into details on that.
I know you must be busy, but when you get time, it would be greatly appreciated by more than just a few of us, I'm sure.

Thanks again JB,

Randy

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Randy, I agree that explaining it hear will help many. I have used a hat press a flat press to put images on a hat. I made a image that started on the visor of the hat and ended on the top of the front of the hat. This was accomplished by using a flat press on the visor and then on the front of the cap with the hat press( the cap can be moved around to get more areas of a design pressed. You heat a area and peel and then move to the next area and proceed. If part of the design will be heated more than once you cover with Teflon sheet( I have a few of these cut up into smaller sizes for this). If you can get a area of the hat in a press you can apply a design. I use my hat press for many other things like umbrellas,shirt parts like sleeves,cuffs,collars,left chest, etc. I know this description was brief but you are only limited by your imagination.i hope this helps. .... JB

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks JB, that made perfect sense to me!:D
I'll give that a try, I have considered something similar, but it's good to hear that it works.
That's a good idea on cutting the Teflon sheet like that though.

Thank you for taking the time to answer that, hopefully others will try that too, it's a money maker, I can see the flames on caps now! heheh

Randy

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I have also used heat transfer paper to do this application. I have used both transfers and vinyl together. If you think it , you can do it.Good luck and happy creating. I ask you to not be like me and snap some pics and share .:) .... JB

·
Registered
21 Posts
"This was accomplished by using a flat press on the visor ..."

Aloha,

What did you use with the hat in the flat press when you did the visor? Maybe a foam pad?

Mahalo (Thank You)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts