T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
hell, I don't even know what you mean. lol
I thought you jus print the whole thing on the iron-on and iron it on.
but than again i buy crap paper from office depote.

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
sure looks like three colors.. black and two shades of red.. if so...the lighter red...at the top could be done last...the rest...depends on your software...what are you using...some will let you cut the red around the letters as an outline...but either way could work

·
Registered
29 Posts
with my corel and graphtec i would apply the red ROYALS, then the black on top of that. if it's justifyable i would send it to my corel guy to convert to line art and then you might get by with 2 layers. black and then red.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do the black first. The black outline makes for some tight registration so it's going to be real tough.

I would do this with plastisol transfer if I could in 2 colors.

·
Registered
21 Posts
can one of you explain this tome?
what do you mean print different colors?
I thought heat transfer (iron on) you just print it like a sheet of paper and just iron it on.
what are you guys talking about. i need help...

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
can one of you explain this tome?
what do you mean print different colors?
I thought heat transfer (iron on) you just print it like a sheet of paper and just iron it on.
what are you guys talking about. i need help...
We are not printing at all.We are cutting each color with heatpress vinyl and applying each color seperate. I hope this helps. .... JB

·
Registered
21 Posts
ahhh. i see what you mean. does this method make it look better? it would seem it would take a while to line up all of them on a shirt.
but hell i am here to learn. lol
I have noticed there are more people on here in the custom printing business on here than there are people trying to get their own brand of apparel off the ground. is that a safe assumption?

·
Registered
584 Posts
There are multiple reasons to use vinyl instead of heat transfers. They are more durable, can give you brighter colors, and don't crack or fade.

There is a wide array of printers on here, from people doing small scale stuff in their homes, to people creating custom clothing in their garages, to larger companies. We are all here to help, so don't be afraid to ask questions. :)

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Ali.. with vinyl...if only a color or two, it looks very well and will outlast any transfer (except sublimation) and it is quick and easy.. and yes I think there are less trying to start a teeshirt line...for me...that is not where I want to go...My ego is not that big.....just want to sell a few dozen items a month and be happy..

·
Registered
21 Posts
thank you charles and spank.
I think i have it all backwards. lol
I thought those iron on transfer papers were vinyl. lol

can anyone you help me with printing? how much is it to do 2-4 colors on vinyl?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Iron On Transfers are paper that you buy from Wal-Mart and print on your computer and iron with a home iron.

Heat Transfers are special printing paper that you buy from a apparel supplier and transfer with a heat press.

Vinyl is vinyl, the stuff used to make decals, stickers, and signs.

Vinyl Transfers is vinyl that you can transfer to a shirt with a heat press.

What exactly is it are you looking to do?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ahhh. that sheds allot of light.
as for what I am looking to do?
well I am starting my very own International Apparel line.
i've been at it for about 5 months an doing good I think.
I wanted to do silk printing, but AHHHHHHH that is way out there for me as all my work is by hand and has MANY colors (so I was told)
so now I am trying to cut cost by either finding someone that can heat transfer for me for good pricing, learn more about all this and also I do allot of Iron Ons at home to give away and wear.
but now that my site is getting rapid hits and I get request emails. I need to have something that is less expensive that silk screen but far better than my office depot iron on paper.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would head over to the Heat Press part of the forum on the home page. There you will find a lot of information on heat transfers, which is what I believe you are looking for. You can get started fairly cheap, or you can go all out and buy some very nice equipment, depending on your budget.

Heat transfers will allow you to print full color designs, and you won't have to buy in bulk like screen printing. You just print the image on your transfer paper from your printer, and then you press it with a heat press. This will give you a better and more durable image than the stuff you are currently buying, though you may experience some problems with fading and cracking of the image if you don't do research and find out the best papers and options there are.

You can also order custom transfers, and custom plastisol transfers. Plastisol Transfers are just like heat transfers, only instead of printing them from a printer, they are screen printed. The plus side of this is that you get better quality of inks from the plastisol and a longer life time. The downside is that you have to buy major quantity.

If you decide to do the heat press and transfer method, later down the road you can buy a vinyl cutter/plotter. This machine will allow you to cut out vinyl transfers, so that you can press vinyl to your shirts. You will be limited to one-four colors like screen printing, but it's easier to do and produces better quality and longer longevity than heat transfers.

This is all from my understanding, and I'm definently no pro, but I hope it helps!

·
Registered
21 Posts
thanks man. I really appropriate the help man. i mean it.

I will look into them.
I saw a heat press for 170 bucks that was 12x12. is that a good price?
or should look for a certain brand. say my budget for the press is under 300

·
Registered
365 Posts
You should read a couple of these threads:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-crossover-diary-heat-press-newbie/t9682.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/heat-press-heat-transfers/t20402.html

T-Shirt Crossover - diary of a heat press newbie - T-Shirt Forums

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html

They were really helpful for me to figure out more about what is going on here. In general most of the questions you can think of are already answered if you look through the pinned topics in each area.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts