T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening!
I am after a little bit of advice.
I have a printer and I am using sublimation ink for my sublimation transfers, however I am also using dark transfer paper, I currently have PPD. After a couple of days, the images go really blurry. Is there a reason for this?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I have a printer and I am using sublimation ink for my sublimation transfers, however I am also using dark transfer paper, I currently have PPD. After a couple of days, the images go really blurry. Is there a reason for this?
That's dye migration due to plasticizers... AKA slow migration.
Using pigment ink is the only way around it, but even then, not all pigment inks are equal.
Epson DuraBrite ink works fairly well... Not as vibrant as sublimation inks, but it will not bleed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's dye migration due to plasticizers... AKA slow migration.
Using pigment ink is the only way around it, but even then, not all pigment inks are equal.
Epson DuraBrite ink works fairly well... Not as vibrant as sublimation inks, but it will not bleed.
Is that a printer? Do all printers have pigment inks?

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. Are you printing sublimation ink onto dark transfer paper? I was not aware that you can do that successfully. LMK.
You can do, but you may have the same issue.
It happens slowly and at different speeds, from a few days to a few months, depending on the type of transfer film.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, it seemed like it would work fine, but then a couple of days later, it started to become apparent that the ink and transfer paper didn't work well together.
I have been going through some tests and I am just testing Xpres Dark Transfer Paper. The company says that it works well with Sublimation paper, but just printing onto I have come across some issues, however, I am just working through them and believe these could work great once I have ironed out a couple of issues.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Yeah, it seemed like it would work fine, but then a couple of days later, it started to become apparent that the ink and transfer paper didn't work well together.
I have been going through some tests and I am just testing Xpres Dark Transfer Paper. The company says that it works well with Sublimation paper, but just printing onto I have come across some issues, however, I am just working through them and believe these could work great once I have ironed out a couple of issues.
The only way around it is physical separation of colors.
This is easy for vector designs as you can cut the film wherever two colors merge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.