T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to put some photo's on real canvas myself. Would JPSS make a good picture or do I need to invest in a photo printer to print directly onto the canvas. I was thinking the Epson 1400 would print up to 13 inches wide. But do I really need it?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Not sure what you are trying to say. The JPSS and 1400 (photo printer) work together. The transfer has to be printed on then heat applied to the canvas bag.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not trying to press to a canvas bag; I want to digitally put a photo onto canvas like used in oil painting. I can pay a lot of money and have an internet company do it. But I would like to try doing it myself. Just wanting to get input on which method would yield the best results consistently. Transferring like a heat transfer or direct ink-jet printing.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would definitely go with printing directly onto the canvas. You'll be much happier with the result.

The 1400 is also a great desktop printer for your application.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that the 1400 would provide good prints at a reasonable price. The only down side is the 1400 does not support canvas rolls like the more expensive 1900. But printing 13 x 19 sheets is reasonable.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've printed on canvas for a while. The results are great.

You will need canvas that has been treated for inkjet printing and you will need to coat the canvas after printing. You can also stretch the canvas after printing.

I use an Epson R2400 for my canvas printing.

Brian
Welcome to the forum Brian. I've been researching canvas ink-jet sheets. A little more expensive than buying in rolls. When you say coat after printing are you referring to a spray sealant? I noticed Epson does not list canvas as a medium for the Epson 1400 but I really don't want to invest a lot into trying a new hobby.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brian. I've been researching canvas ink-jet sheets. A little more expensive than buying in rolls. When you say coat after printing are you referring to a spray sealant? I noticed Epson does not list canvas as a medium for the Epson 1400 but I really don't want to invest a lot into trying a new hobby.
I use foam rollers for coating. Eco Print Shield is what I'm using now. Some coatings are available in spray cans, but I prefer the water based products. These can also be sprayed if you have the equipment.

You can get sample packs from some vendors in letter or larger sizes.

Good luck.

Brian

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again Brian. The Eco print shield is much more economical than spray. When you print on canvas do you use stretcher bars for the finished project, or just cut and frame?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks again Brian. The Eco print shield is much more economical than spray. When you print on canvas do you use stretcher bars for the finished project, or just cut and frame?
I used stretcher bars initially. Now I mount on PerfectMount. I use a rolling pin as a brayer and allow the result to sit for about twelve hours before trimming and framing. No glass.

Brian

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used stretcher bars initially. Now I mount on PerfectMount. I use a rolling pin as a brayer and allow the result to sit for about twelve hours before trimming and framing. No glass.

Brian
I am guessing the stretcher bars are for the best photo's while the mounting boards work for everyday photo's.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please see your PM, cbs1963
Thanks Dave, trying to learn how to do this for myself. Hoping to expand my creative horizons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an R1800 which appears to be able to print directly to canvas. I would like to print patches, but these are to be applied to clothing. Would you suggest I print directly to the canvas, or use heat transfer instead, given that the image would need to stand up to moisture and washing. Also, what inks would you suggest if direct to canvas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts