T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to heat transfers and bought some for a craft show. To learn how to apply the transfers I cut up different types of transfers into sections and applied the parts to a spare tshirt. Found the best results with a tshirt under the tshirt impressing onto. Next I go to a flap top onesy and try and press and the transfer just peeled off the tshirt. Any suggestions what to do. Start experimenting again? Any other suggestions. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The transfers you purchased should have instructions as to heat, pressure and time. Also what material are you pressing on. Cotton, cotton blend? These things all make a difference. Lastly, are you using an iron or a press. All these factors will make a difference in the end result.

·
Registered
911 Posts
its usually a time/temp/pressure issue .. What is a flaptop? ..maybe it wont take a transfer? Pressure is usually pretty heavy with transfers iv'e used. You read the instructions i assume=0), are you sure your not reading your thermo in Celcius thinking Farenheight?
Is your press good? no cold spots? an infrared thermometer will help you as well as temp. strips from most tranfer suppliers,(is paper taht you put in your press) and will tell you the temp based on what colour it turns...tho' Iv'e no experience with temperature paper.:)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi
I'm new to heat transfers and bought some for a craft show. To learn how to apply the transfers I cut up different types of transfers into sections and applied the parts to a spare tshirt. Found the best results with a tshirt under the tshirt impressing onto. Next I go to a flap top onesy and try and press and the transfer just peeled off the tshirt. Any suggestions what to do. Start experimenting again? Any other suggestions. Thanks for any help in advance.
I was gonna make a spit-up joke about the flap-top onesy, but anyway *cough cough*…

Any time your fabric is not flat and smooth you'll run into trouble with the transfer adhering, especially if you're just using an iron and not a heat press. Even doing a transfer over a shirt seam has run me into trouble, but if the pressure is heavy enough (and the heat setting is right), it usually works.

Make sure the garments you're using are absolutely dry as a bone. Any moisture will prevent adherence also (hence my spit-up reference :D).

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm not 100% sure on the "flap top", but most onesies i've seen (& used on my kids) are the one's that close near the bottom, or front crotch area. Do these have buttons? If so, they are probably preventing even pressure from being applied to the transfer.

Depending on what is actually sticking up, you may have to get a teflon pillow, or rig something out of cardboard, wood, etc. to raise the garment & clear the buttons..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi The onesies, overlap at the shoulder to let the noggin through. Never thought about the bottom snaps. Will try a build-up area for the smaller area. Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I use foam material like your mouse pads except I use 1/2" thick to raise the print area like over pockets for a polo with buttons. You can cut to any size, use over and not expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased some camo htv from a sign shop along with some other htv and vinyl... all works great except when i purchased the camo htv she said i needed adhesive for it.... never asked what now kicking myself cause the camohtv not sticking at all.... What adhesive was i supposed to get??

·
Registered
2 Posts
Supposed to be ... does not have the vinyl backing.. lady did say needs adhesive and ithought she said extra adhesive i bought it anyways thinking i would try it out...does not stick at all with heat any suggestions for type of adhesive would be appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts