T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it typical to increase the heat on your press when it suggests a much lower temperature? I have to turn my temp way up to get better results for my transfers. Again, is this typical?? Also, is there something you can do to keep the transfer image crisper after washing? Hate when it fades.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Bethany. Please provide more detail as to the type of transfer (transfer paper, stock design, custom made?). Also, what are the application instructions?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Is it typical to increase the heat on your press when it suggests a much lower temperature? I have to turn my temp way up to get better results for my transfers. Again, is this typical?? Also, is there something you can do to keep the transfer image crisper after washing? Hate when it fades.

Thanks!
If you have to increase your temps to get better results, your heat press may not be providing consistent and accurate temperatures. You may want to test the accuracy of your temperatures using a heat probe tool.

Transfers fading have more to do with the transfers themselves. As the above poster asked, what kind of transfers are these?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It does sound like you have an issue with the heating element of your press by what you are describing.

Heat Press Test Kits are inexpensive and sold by many vendors. Of course if you have access to a heat probe, that is good as well.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Normally with light shirts, having more pressure during heat application helps with the wash. Of course it will depend on the paper you are using.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. To answer all of your questions, my heat press was purchased from US Cutters and it has no name, it's a swing-away type press, it always is about 10 degrees lower than what I set it for. The transfer paper I am using is from bestblanks.com. I will post the image.

TransferJet For InkJet Printers
#1 Seller For Light Shirt Printing!

I would like to know if this is a good product or is there something else better. I want excellent results. I am trying to press t's for a 4th grade class with all of their signatures. I figured this would be the best way other than screen printing, which I do not do at this time. Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Are you testing your machine? Is that how you know it is 10 degrees lower then what you set it to?

As for the transfer paper, some do fade more then others when laundered.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It shows the set temp and actual temp and it is almost always about 10 degrees lower (actual). I see a lot of posts that say JPSS is the best paper. The ink, on the other hand, I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused. Nobody can say a certain ink is best. They go back and forth and back and forth. I just want a great result that will not bleed all over and doesn't fade in one wash.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It shows the set temp and actual temp and it is almost always about 10 degrees lower (actual). I see a lot of posts that say JPSS is the best paper. The ink, on the other hand, I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo confused. Nobody can say a certain ink is best. They go back and forth and back and forth. I just want a great result that will not bleed all over and doesn't fade in one wash.
I would suggest getting hold of a heat seal test kit to see where your temperature is when compared to what you set it to. This will help you to know what you are dealing with, so you may adjust the temperature you apply at accordingly.

As for the Transjet Paper, there is a link that says "Inks Bleeding?". When you click on this link it states that they recommend using their inks called "ArmurInks". This is probably why you are getting bleeding/fading. Maybe someone else has used this paper and knows a work around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts