T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am in need of assistance, I am hoping the professionals on this forum are able to help me, I'm so frustrated!

I have been pressing my artwork onto 100% cotton tees for about 4 weeks. Each time I press the image(at 193 Celsius for 25 seconds, with strong pressure) the image looks great initially, but after I wash the shirt(cold water, inside out, dry with low heat) The image separates in linear lines, exposing the white when I stretch the image in any way.

I have "tested" about 25 shirts and I have yet to find the correct way to proceed. People are interested in purchasing my work, i would love to solve this issue.

I have attached an image of the problem i am experiencing.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Attachments

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Hello. I am in need of assistance, I am hoping the professionals on this forum are able to help me, I'm so frustrated!

I have been pressing my artwork onto 100% cotton tees for about 4 weeks. Each time I press the image(at 193 Celsius for 25 seconds, with strong pressure) the image looks great initially, but after I wash the shirt(cold water, inside out, dry with low heat) The image separates in linear lines, exposing the white when I stretch the image in any way.

I have "tested" about 25 shirts and I have yet to find the correct way to proceed. People are interested in purchasing my work, i would love to solve this issue.

I have attached an image of the problem i am experiencing.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
You have to stretch the shirt as much as possible before the transfer is heat applied so that the material between the knit ribs are exposed to ink/polymer and penetrate those areas. If you have swing away heat press lower the upper platen on the shirt without locking it down. The weight of the upper platen will keep the shirt from springing back to its un-stretched state when stretched. Stretch the sides as much as possible along the length of the platen. Lockdown the platen for 5 seconds to remove moister, wrinkle and keep the shirt stretched. Open the press. Lay and locate the transfer on the shirt. Proceed pressing and peeling the transfer. Stretch after the transfer is peeled while the shirt is hot. Cover the image with parchment paper. Press it again for 6 to 10 seconds for durability. Stretch it again while hot. If you see cracking press it again with parchment paper as before.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to stretch the shirt as much as possible before the transfer is heat applied so that the material between the knit ribs are exposed to ink/polymer and penetrate those areas. If you have swing away heat press lower the upper platen on the shirt without locking it down. The weight of the upper platen will keep the shirt from springing back to its un-stretched state when stretched. Stretch the sides as much as possible along the length of the platen. Lockdown the platen for 5 seconds to remove moister, wrinkle and keep the shirt stretched. Open the press. Lay and locate the transfer on the shirt. Proceed pressing and peeling the transfer. Stretch after the transfer is peeled while the shirt is hot. Cover the image with parchment paper. Press it again for 6 to 10 seconds for durability. Stretch it again while hot. If you see cracking press it again with parchment paper as before.
Lnfortun-thanks for the advice. I'm going to try your method.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I made a telescoping frame to stretch the shirt. It can be adjusted for different sizes. I was doing the method I posted earlier before I made the frame. It still need some work that is why I did not mention is earlier.
That is a great idea. I was going to experiment with the same concept. Is that method working for you? I am determined to find a solution.

· Registered
4,816 Posts
That is a great idea. I was going to experiment with the same concept. Is that method working for you? I am determined to find a solution.
It is working but it still needs work. Using a frame does not stretch the same amount the area that is in line with armhole because there is nothing that the frame can use as leverage. Also as the size gets bigger the frame extends way too much for small working area. It is awkward to use too when the sizes like XXL and above. I am going to work on it as soon as the weather here in Nebraska gets warm so I can work on it outside. I am going to try to make it so the it does not have to go inside the shirt and the frame will adjust the same amount regardless of the shirt size. By doing that the armhole issue will be solved.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is working but it still needs work. Using a frame does not stretch the same amount the area that is in line with armhole because there is nothing that the frame can use as leverage. Also as the size gets bigger the frame extends way too much for small working area. It is awkward to use too when the sizes like XXL and above. I am going to work on it as soon as the weather here in Nebraska gets warm so I can work on it outside. I am going to try to make it so the it does not have to go inside the shirt and the frame will adjust the same amount regardless of the shirt size. By doing that the armhole issue will be solved.
Sounds like you're on your way to a good solution. I will begin experimenting myself. What type of transfer paper are you using? Does it stretch well?

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Ok here are the photos. The frame will lock at set adjustment by turning the sliding inner tubes. The first photo is the smallest width that measures 22.5". The second photo is fully extended that measures 33.5". The third photo shows with medium size shirt. As you can see there is bubble in the mid area. When I stretch the area that is not stretched as much there is slightly cracking on the image. The shirt does not have transferred image so I can show you the effect due uneven stretching. Uneven stretching is due to the frame does not have anything to use as leverage in the armhole area.

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok here are the photos. The frame will lock at set adjustment by turning the sliding inner tubes. The first photo is the smallest width that measures 22.5". The second photo is fully extended that measures 33.5". The third photo shows with medium size shirt. As you can see there is bubble in the mid area. When I stretch the area that is not stretched as much there is slightly cracking on the image. The shirt does not have transferred image so I can show you the effect due uneven stretching. Uneven stretching is due to the frame does not have anything to use as leverage in the armhole area.
Nice work! That is a great idea. That really stretches the shirts quite a bit. I was going to try something completely different. I was going to use canvas stretchers and stretch the shirt over the frames and secure the shirt with clamps of some sort. It's still just a thought I haven't tried it yet. You have something there, I wonder if you were able to add a pole in the middle, would that eliminate the bubble you have mentioned?

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Sounds like you're on your way to a good solution. I will begin experimenting myself. What type of transfer paper are you using? Does it stretch well?
I am using 2 step self weeding ImageClip Laser Light. It stretches really well if the shirt is stretched before the transfer is pressed. There is slight hand before wash compared to JPSS inkjet transfer. The hand gets better after 2 or 3 washes.

Check the attached photo of the shirt I did with transfer on white 100% cotton. I noticed slight cracking when I pull hard on the shirt but it springs back. I did not stretched the shirt well enough.

The first photo is before wash. The second photo is after the first wash. I pressed 3 shirts like that with the stretcher. I wore them three separate weeks, every day of the week, to bed before I throw them in the hamper. They all came out with no fading and hardly any cracking at all, well if tug really hard.

Attachments

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Nice work! That is a great idea. That really stretches the shirts quite a bit. I was going to try something completely different. I was going to use canvas stretchers and stretch the shirt over the frames and secure the shirt with clamps of some sort. It's still just a thought I haven't tried it yet. You have something there, I wonder if you were able to add a pole in the middle, would that eliminate the bubble you have mentioned?
A pole in the middle will not work. The upper platen will land on it. I don't slip the shirt over the lower platen. The heat press does not allow me to do that.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am using 2 step self weeding ImageClip Laser Light. It stretches really well if the shirt is stretched before the transfer is pressed. There is slight hand before wash compared to JPSS inkjet transfer. The hand gets better after 2 or 3 washes.

Check the attached photo of the shirt I did with transfer on white 100% cotton. I noticed slight cracking when I pull hard on the shirt but it springs back. I did stretched the shirt well enough.

The first photo is before wash. The second photo is after the first wash. I pressed 3 shirts like that with the stretcher. I wore them three separate weeks, every day of the week, to bed before I throw them in the hamper. They all came out with no fading and hardly any cracking at all, well if tug really hard.
Those look great! Really professional. I can't tell the difference from one pic to the next. I like the artwork. My work is colorful but not as much as these. I have a renewed hope that my vision is possible. May I ask what you do with these shirts? Do you have your own shop? Do you sell online?

· Registered
4,816 Posts
Those look great! Really professional. I can't tell the difference from one pic to the next. I like the artwork. My work is colorful but not as much as these. I have a renewed hope that my vision is possible. May I ask what you do with these shirts? Do you have your own shop? Do you sell online?
I pressed 3 shirts for my own use to test the frame stretcher.

I have been pressing and selling shirts in my home business since 1990 in addition to my day job. I am TV technician, electronic technician, associate electronics engineer and then some by trade. I got started pressing shirt out of curiosity when Stahls came to town to do a seminar about heat transfer business. I was fascinated how easy the heat transfer was done.

I bought my heat press, precut vinyl and misc. stuff right on the spot. In addition to vinyl transfer I used stock transfers from Airwaves, the now Artbrand, Teletrend, Springhill and from any stock transfer vendor.

I then bought a used Seiko Thermal transfer printer so I can do my own transfer. Inkjet was not available then. Laser printer and copier were very expensive. I bought CorelDraw V3 then upgraded each time a new version came out. I own V3 up to X5. I tried X6. Did not like it. Started doing my own design and what ever the customer wants no charge. Things started started rolling from there.

Eventually I bought 2 home embroidery machine. Got tired of those. So I bought a single head 9 needle embroidery machine with hat attachment.

I wrote a macro plugin for CorelDraw for creating rhinestone template.

If you click the link below my signature it will take you to the website. Let me know what you think.

I am retired now from my day job. So I have plenty of time in my hand posting in the forum.

Sorry about telling you my life story. You are probably sorry you asked:D.

BTW the artwork on the shirt belongs to my customer. I am good but not that good. I like using it as test artwork because it will show how good a heat transfer product. Some laser transfer are marginal. in my book. It has variety of shades of colors.

Technically the artwork without manipulating it, will not work with ImageClip Laser Light.

· Registered
25 Posts
Luis can ALWAYS be counted on to give the most thorough explanation and it's great ... so many times I have to read instructions over and over and over and over ... and still end up thinking "Huh" ... myself included, a lot of people think way faster than they can output with voice or pen, so key points are sometimes missed ... but being the original thoughts are in our heads, we don't notice so much, and we assume that anyone reading or listening to us can read our minds!! ... Well, Luis never does that ... he takes into consideration that everyone deserves a clear, thorough answer, and time and again will spend his time laying it out for us. It's people like him that have kept me from throwing in the towel, as all you Ninja's know the "early days" can be rough!!

Luis is awesome, as are many, many other men and women on this forum. Every I'm learning more and getting better every day, and someday I will be able to give back.

Okay, I am finished being psychologist for the day! No worries, I shan't quit my day job lol!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.