T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To help in holding position and prevent curling I used Heat Tape on Dark Transfers (JO2,3GJO,IDT Blue Grid). After pressing, the tape removes easily from the shirt, but the part that was on the transfer pull the ink off.

It would probably be OK for Light Transfer like JPSS as the tape goes on the backing, not the ink.

Anyone else have this problem?

· Registered
150 Posts
Yes, Transfer tape is not for pigment ink. A cold peel will take off less ink.

Best way to prevent curling is to use a parchment cover sheet or a thin teflon sheet.
Can you clarify what you mean by "transfer tape is not for pigment ink"? I've seen a ton of people on here mentioning to use heat transfer tape for their prints. Here's a video from Coastal showing how to do it with 3g Jet Opaque: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iy8F2UVChs&t=144s

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I wasn't clear in my original question. I was not using Transfer Tape, I was just using heat resistant tape to hold the Dark Transfer in position on the shirt. It removes OK from the shirt, but removing the tape from the transfer pulled the ink off of the transfer.

Using the same procedure to hold Light Transfer paper in place worked great because the tape is on the backing side, not the transfer surface.

· Registered
415 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear in my original question. I was not using Transfer Tape, I was just using heat resistant tape to hold the Dark Transfer in position on the shirt. It removes OK from the shirt, but removing the tape from the transfer pulled the ink off of the transfer.

Using the same procedure to hold Light Transfer paper in place worked great because the tape is on the backing side, not the transfer surface.
What type of ink?

Pigment,UV DYE, Toner, Solvent , Etc...

As far as I know only solvent/eco solvent can be taped.

For everything else, use a teflon sheet or parchment paper

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of ink?

Pigment,UV DYE, Toner, Solvent , Etc...

As far as I know only solvent/eco solvent can be taped.

For everything else, use a teflon sheet or parchment paper
I use Epson pigment ink.

I always use Teflon or Silicone paper on top of the transfer when I press. I was using the tape to hold the transfer in position on the shirt and then move it under the press.

Of course if I had a swing aside press instead of a clamshell I wouldn't have that problem.

· Registered
415 Posts
I use Epson pigment ink.

I always use Teflon or Silicone paper on top of the transfer when I press. I was using the tape to hold the transfer in position on the shirt and then move it under the press.

Of course if I had a swing aside press instead of a clamshell I wouldn't have that problem.
Ok, I understand. You have a clam press and when the shirt is in the press the heat from the upper plate is causing curling!

When working on a clam, Wait till your art work is ready and then put your shirt on the press and lay your art work on it and press it right away. Don't give the shirt enough time to heat up,

You could slightly heat your shirt and tap your picture on it enough to stick down without curling.

If you still need to use tape, use a minimum amount and peel it cold.

Good luck, swing away is much better for opaque inkjet transfers.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I found a better procedure than using tape.

I used a Spotting Iron, which looks kind of like a soldering iron with a head like a pallet knife.

I just position my graphic on the shirt, cover it with a pressing sheet, and tack the edges with the iron.

Then I can move it under the press and don't have any curling problem or hand burns from trying to work under the press.

Thanks to all for the help.

· Registered
1 Posts
To help in holding position and prevent curling I used Heat Tape on Dark Transfers (JO2,3GJO,IDT Blue Grid). After pressing, the tape removes easily from the shirt, but the part that was on the transfer pull the ink off.

It would probably be OK for Light Transfer like JPSS as the tape goes on the backing, not the ink.

Anyone else have this problem?
I have this problem as well. I had graphics and wording on my printed transfer paper for dark fabrics. I used a transfer film specifically for printed transfer sheets. It pulled the ink away from the sheet. I tried multiple methods on transfer films, all with the same result. Is there some kind of spray I can use to protect the ink from the transfer film?

· Registered
53 Posts
Guys I have had this same problem. I use dark transfer paper on some of my projects as well and I’ve used a masking roll along with with tape and it still pulls ink, on a cold and hot peel. I have 2 presses, a clam style and slide style. Both have heat that causes the paper to curl. What I have came up with is when I set everything up I use a hand iron along with my Teflon sheet for just a split second to set it in place. Afterwords I place on my press along with my parchment paper and press for what ever time the paper and garment suggest. When I press multi layers, I press for 3 seconds let cool and finish up all the final presses etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.