T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is this doable? are there any solutions? Im just getting going and cant afford a flash dryer amongst everything needed, just yet...

· Registered
20 Posts
I use plastisol ink and don't have a flash dryer but I do have a heat press. I hover it over the image for a little over a minute then press it at 350 degrees a few times for 15 seconds and it is cured. I even tried the wash test and it is still perfect.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you think i might be able to hit it with a heat gun, then use a traditional iron to get it to 350 or what ever it needs to be?

· Registered
20 Posts
Somewhere around there. Hot enough to evaporate the water in the ink. You should be able to feel a difference before and after as far as the thickness of the print. The print will feel flatter and more into the shirt after the iron. The iron has to be at medium to high pressure against the shirt.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ugh, i wish i could just come up with a $5,000 grant to get all the equipment, instead of half assing make-shift crap like this... oh well, building up them chops!

· Registered
55 Posts
When I started out I used waterbased inks with a cold cure catalyst. Add 5% of the catalyst to the ink for the job, print the tees & hang them to dry overnight. No need to heat cure. Worked very well for me & those tees are still great 2 years later.

Ask your ink supplier about this option. A much better option than manually drying every tee with an iron or heat gun. Ive done both & its something Im glad Il never have to do again :)

Best of luck,
Tom

· Registered
7,155 Posts
You can buy Heat presses for about $299 shipped to you. Sunie and other companies out there have them. Grant it, they're not the top of the line, but at least you can get started.

As I'm typing this out I noticed ProWorld has a banner ad at the bottom of this page. They have a heat press for $169. It's a started one, but hey, at least you can get started.

Their website is www.ProWorldInc.com hope this helps you.

Also, try searching google for Home made screen printing kits. There's a guy that says you can use an oven, or a halogen shop light (500 watts).

Sorry, I don't remember his name. He has a bunch of videos on YouTube.

· Registered
33 Posts
You could buy 2 quartz heaters with some mods, use them to make a very cheap light weight flash unit. A stand and, aluminium angle for a box frame to hold the quartz heaters into one big flash unit. You would need to bypass the tip auto kill switch. The flash would have a total of 6 quartz bulbs and two plugs so you could turn on the lower bulbs for larger surface area. A new flasher would cost more than what you would pay for the finished product, and could cover a 14 by 18 surface area. That would be a macguyver task though.

· Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I typically use water based, but i need to do white on black. The quartz idea is ingenious but way too much of a project. Ill make do with the heat gun and iron (if it works) and just op for a heat press asap, start doing ink transfers...

Thanks yall

· Registered
159 Posts
Check out this flash unit: 16" x 16" for $299.00 with free shipping.

HBE Flash 16 x 16 [HBEFL1616] - $299.00 : Atlas Screen Supply Company

Add $50.00 to step up to the 18" unit.

I know its still cash that you may not have, but it is an option that is not much more than some of the other options that you are looking at.

By the way, I have the Sunie heat press. $ 249.99 with free shipping. I have been very happy with it. It got me started in the t-shirt business and now I am in the process of adding screen printing.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.