T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
fresh said:
are tees that have phrases on them heat presses on is this the cheapest way
i guess it's something like: are tees with text on them heat pressed? is this (using heat transfers for text) the cheapest method?

correct me if i'm wrong

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Yeah, that was my interpretation of the question.

The answer being, no most text tees are not heat pressed, and if you're dealing with small quantities then yes it most likely is the cheapest method.

·
Registered
224 Posts
can you tell us then what is the best method for text, as all of my shirts will have text rather than a design? Someone in an earlier post suggested plasticol transfers. Is that the best way? Do plasticol transfers leave a "line" around the text? thanks!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
There are a few factors involved:
Of course you need a heat press, which you probably already have. The you need a vinyl cutter. Depending on size, quality & versatility these usuualy range from about $400 - $2000. I would recommend getting a 24" cutter. this usually goes for the $1500-2000 range. Then you will need a design software. Sometimes these are included with the cutter that you purchase. Design softwares, usually add on to CorelDRAW, Adobe Illustrator or both. Lastly, you will need to get an initial stock of heat transfer vinyls. Depending on what colors and quantities you want, the price for this can vary. To give you a rough idea, you can buy a 5yd roll of heat transfer vinyl for about $24-34 dollars.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I will have to outsource until I can afford to purchase the equipment needed to make them on my own and more importantly until I learn more!! Can you tell me more about SMG, i.e., good quality, turn around times? Thanks!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Natitown said:
I will have to outsource until I can afford to purchase the equipment needed to make them on my own and more importantly until I learn more!! Can you tell me more about SMG, i.e., good quality, turn around times? Thanks!!
Hi, neighbor! ;-) I've been outsourcing my vinyl cuts from some friends I met on a similar group. I am however, setting up my cutter in the next week or two. I'm also in Ohio, up North, in Wellington. Perhaps we can help each other out and learn this together...

·
Registered
16 Posts
CGoran said:
Hi, neighbor! ;-) I've been outsourcing my vinyl cuts from some friends I met on a similar group. I am however, setting up my cutter in the next week or two. I'm also in Ohio, up North, in Wellington. Perhaps we can help each other out and learn this together...
i love this about this forum: it's more about cooperation and not competition :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Absolutely...my 'pals' (never met them), only use good vinyl... To keep costs down up to know..I often have them cut only and I do the weeding...and so have learned about that end of it in the process.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would love to outsource vinyl until I could afford my own cutter. Many of my designs are text that I screenprint. Many people asked if I do custom shirts. I lose business because its not worth my time to make a screen for one shirt so I tell them I cant do it. Vinyl would be my way to go for the onesie twosie orders.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts