T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Got a great start from all of you about what heat press to buy. Now I am confused. Apparently I want a 15x15 or larger heat press that is a swing away with a floating platen. I am having trouble finding the floating platen. What brand and model do you reccommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would first ask what are you planning to use the press for? If your using the press for garments a swing press is not really needed, but for sublimation work on tiles it is a necessity. I think a swing press adds to production time for garments as it adds 2 steps to the process. You must swing it out of theway and then back ove the garment. The swinger also takes more room to operate. I have both styles of press' and choose the clam for garments and know they are much faster. As for the floating platen, I would look at Hix and Hotronix. I will add you should buy a name brand press, this will give you much better service after the sale if needed. I think service is the most important reason to pick a product. If you never need the service great, but if you do it's nice for it to be there. I have head countless stories of the Ebay bragins and no support. I hope I have helped andd wish you good luck. .... JB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, COEDS. AT this point I am looking at any possibility of where this may go. Basically I am going to start out doing TShirts and polo Shirts (emblems). I plan on going on to mugs and plates but that requires more equipment (which at one point I was considering the Knight DC16). Now, I am considering the Hix Swingman 15 or 20D, the Hix Ht 400D or I had just thought of getting the Hix Hobby Lite just to start off and expand to one of the others as my business grows. Then I will have the Hobby Lite as a back up. I guess I am really scared to decide as this is so new to me and I reallly don't want to make a mistake on what I purchase.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I would suggest you get on ebay and buy a used name brand press. This will start you on your way and help save a little cash too. I would buy nothing smaller than a 15x15 and a clam style will suit your needs . As your business grows, you can add needed equipment.I suggest you look for a Hix press, as I have forund their service department to be superior to others in the field. I hope this helps. .... JB

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here's a fun little test......
Try calling a few of your prospective heatpress "tech support" Telephone numbers. See how they treat you and how the purchase of parts works.. That will tell you a bunch. Also can they help with telephone support for help with the install?

The machines are mechnical, remember, eventually maintaince is needed. I have had trouble with certain companies. The problem with ebay, even if the machine is a brand name : 1. no warranty 2. sometime the presses have some age and it's very difficult to find parts

·
Registered
8,082 Posts
Hate to disagree with JB ....but... I have been doing sublimation tiles and tile murals for a long time with my clam shell press...A swingaway does give options to press item 1 inch or more thick..

My clam shell is a Hix 400 manual press with a heating element problem now...which Hix has said it did not have!!...but what do I know...it is only my press....I can send it back to them for testing..I pay freight bothways...hell....I just bought an el cheapie as I needed one in 24 hours

1 - 7 of 7 Posts