T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone please suggest a good heat press that holds up and has no problems?

I'm wanting to start doing heat press t-shirts but unsure what heat press brand and want a good one that will last.

Also any suggestions on vnyl cutter?

Thanks!!

Melissa

· Registered
859 Posts
Graphtec plotter
George Knight heat press (built to last)

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would like to keep it under $500 however I have no idea if thats realistic since I'm not sure how much they run, least a good one. I also want to do no less than a 16x16 area.

Please educate me if you will. I do embroidery but lost with the heat press and since it's a hot thing going and want to do monogram shirts and other shirts thought why not.

Do you do anything other than heat press or what does your company and do and where located?

Thanks!
Melissa
Eureka, NC (hour east of Raleigh, NC)

· Registered
859 Posts
Where do I find and typical amount they run?

Whats the difference between a cutter and plotter?

Thanks!!
Meissa
George Knight presses can be found at heatpress.com but they have distributors all over the country. Price will vary depending on the model you choose. $500 will not get you a new one in that size range. But keep in mind we have been using them for about 17 years and the 1st press still works perfectly. They are worth spending the money on. (We currently own about 9 of their presses) You wont find cold spots or any of those type of issues that you may find with the cheap presses. Also they sell every part to repair them if you ever do need something. If you cant swing the money for a new one I would recommend checking out eBay or the for sale forums here for a nice used one.

A plotter is just the real name of a cutter....They are all pretty much called plotters and some people decide to call them cutters because thats all they use them for but they do many things besides cut vinyl.

A good plotter will last you a long time. Graphtec is our favorite but rolands are nice too. Also highly recommend clean cut blades.

We do everything except embroidery.

· Registered
10,809 Posts
A plotter usually refers to the feature that will allow you to trim around an image since the cutter would have a contour cutting function. GCC is also a very good brand.

· Registered
859 Posts
A plotter is still a plotter even if it has no contour cutting function.
Contour cutting is just an additional feature to read crop marks to cut printed graphics. Been using plotters since before contour cutting was even a thing.

Keep in mind...most vendors push new people into getting low end equipment knowing if the new person is going to stay in the industry they will need to upgrade. So they get more sales that way. Save up and buy good quality equipment the first time and you will be much happier. You will have less trial and error also.

You should be able to get a 24" graphtec ce6000 new for about $1400 maybe even a little less. A geo knight 16x20 (or 14x16 if you want something a little smaller) will run $1200+ new or $600+ used.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you so much for all your time in replying back and giving so much detail. As I said before I know nothing about heat press but is something I want to get into and hopefully start a line of t-shirt phrases among doing monogram garments.

I could probably swing the money for the heat press but unsure about the cutter depending on how much they run?

Question, again if you don't mind. Other than garments what are some unique items that can be used for heat press? I know hats but what else? Reason, when viewed Geo Knight the video spoke about other items but didn't go into detail about what exactly?

Thank you so much!!!!!

Melissa

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.