T-Shirt Forums banner

Heat press

[NEW SOUTH WALES - AU] -  
1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  wiggum 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm wanting to purchase a heat press, more so to make things for my kids/friends and possibly to sell eventually. I don't want to spend a lot of money and have seen ones on ebay within my price range (up to $300). I've read they are pretty much rubbish, but at the moment I'm using an iron so I figure they have to be better than that. What are your thoughts on purchasing off ebay for my requirements?

#3 ·
I am in Brisbane and are looking at similar.
Seems trying to find a decent quality heat press is impossible down here without spending $$$.
Cheapest good quality one I have found has been about $1300 + freight (quoted $60). Is really disheartening when you see people in the states etc paying half that for good ones.
Good old Australia tax at its best. That and limited market I guess.
Will be following this thread, but if you find anything please be sure to post about it

#4 ·
I have dealt with Biz Supplies for heat presses and found a flat press with Auto popup for $699. Sure an alarm goes off at the end of the count down timer for you to open the press manually if you don't have auto popup but if you are busy doing something else like preparing the next design on another t-shirt having the auto popup is brilliant to stop you over cooking the design or shirt.

#5 ·
I've seen Biz Supplies and have just emailed asking what brand their heat presses are, as it's not stated. Their prices are very reasonable.

It's extremely disheartening that we have to pay more than double what people pay in the US. Can't afford to pay an absurd amount for what, at this stage, is a hobby.

#6 ·
Can't afford to pay an absurd amount for what, at this stage, is a hobby.
It is what it is unfortunately, there's no easy way around it because of the voltage differences. Also tried the "quality ebay auto-release press" route and you may as well shred your cash - the auto releases fail leaving you with an expensive boat anchor. The cheap ebay presses without an auto release work ok but are very labour intensive because you have to babysit them. We started with the cheap chinese manual presses and outgrew them, that would be my recommendation to anyone starting out. We used the silicon matts out of them for new base plates and dumped the presses :)

We have George Knight's and Stahl's. The George Knight's are the most used for us because we fabricate custom steel bases to fit different products. The Stahls have a different bottom plate mechanism and aren't as easy to make base plates for. If the place burnt down I'd have a replacement DK16 on a truck tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.