T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am a proud noob to t-shirt printing.

Anyway just turned on my heat press that I bought, watched youtube videos on how to set it up. Did everything by the book, from horizontally inversing the print on a heat transfer to linting the tee etc. On the net it says to do heat transfers at 350-400 degrees.

Then 2 problems major started occuring:

-At around 350 degrees my heat press began smoking, from around the top plate area, it was not a pleasant smoke but like melting plastic.

-I quickly pressed the t-shirt for 20 seconds. While the design came out perfectly, where the hot plate went on my shirt the whole shirt charred yellow, it charred through the wax paper also.

-I then quickly turned off my heat press at it looked as if it was going to start burning.

So I finished with a perfect heat transfer but a ruined charred t-shirt, and some large worries about my heat press.

What am I doing wrong? Is the heat too much for my tees, should I be doing them at 200? Why is my heat press smoking unhealthy, it made the whole house smell of a burnt plastic type smell. I thought it could be my top plate being dirty but it is perfectly clean, I tried to clean it and to my dismay it was brand new clean! Could it be to do with the power I am running power to the heat press from a long extension cable?

Any help would be appreciated, and I would be grateful for any pointers afforded to me, thanks.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Did you ever ask instruction or did the store given you proper instruction prior to the press operation? 350-400 is really hot it will likely burn your shirts...

When I bought my press, they instructed me to press shirts from 180-250. They have also gave me transfers and shirts to do my experiments, but not instructed to do it on 300 or more.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, I think I know what I've done wrong I think he said 350-400 fahrenheit, I'm doing it in Celsius!

Now just why the heat press was smoking!

·
Registered
996 Posts
If the heat press is new and you heat it that high the first time, some smoke is because poss. some insulation is burning off any glue used to attach it. If it continues, call your supplier but you should be ok now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All heat transfers I have states to do them at 350 to 385 for 8-10 sec. if you are keeping the press down for 20sec. or longer then you will burn your tees, and you will get some smokeing from that..

·
Banned
23 Posts
the smoke is not the problem,some times you used, it would not happen again,.

you temperature is too high,except for sublimation,maybe 140 celsius degree ok,

you can take a teflon sheet to prevent the shirt turn yellow

that is my advise

may it be helpful

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. I am using Jet Pro Soft Stretch and it says to do 350-375 for 20-30 seconds. I believe its burning the shirts because there is a yellowish/brown box around my image. When I decrease my press time the picture doesn't come completely off the paper but the box is less visible. Should I too increase my temp and decrease press time? I'm desperate so please HELP!!!!

All heat transfers I have states to do them at 350 to 385 for 8-10 sec. if you are keeping the press down for 20sec. or longer then you will burn your tees, and you will get some smokeing from that..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Heat transfers are different then transfering numbers. Numbers take a little longer. The shirts take longer to yellow than do the transfer papers. You should not have to press the designs 20 seconds. Numbers take around 20 seconds.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
This is what happened when I pressed for 10 seconds at around 380 F. It burned the shirt. Please help me
Experiment. Print a bunch of sample pieces and start experimenting on shirts.

Heat transferring has three variables. Time, Temperature and Pressure. Any problem you are having is because one of those variables isn't dialed in properly.

If you're burning your shirts dial back the temperature and increase the time. Keep adjusting until you get things right. Mark the details of each pressing with a marker and set them aside.

Eventually you learn how to work with your equipment.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
First spend 85 bucks on a laser thermometer gun. Shoot the heated plate in several areas, and ensure the temp is correct versus the dial (as it warms up, start checking). We have 30-50 degrees off when we get used presses occasionally. Then make sure of the instructions for whatever product you are using, vinyl, paer, flock, etc., they are all available on line. Follow exactly when first starting. We set temp in middle of range, we set time in middle of range, preasure in middle, run our tests and then document the settings for reproduction at a future time.

We follow these simple rules for xfers and dtg, and never burnt anything.

Keep a fire extinguisher in the area as well. It's code in most places. Just in case.

If ya got a celsius vs. faren. issue, I can't help ya.
But conversion formulas are online all over the place. I only know water freezes at zero celsius. for what that's worth hee hee hee

·
Registered
1 Posts
My husband bought me a new press. My transfers are only partially transferring to the t-shirt. I have tried everything and been through 20 shirts.

Please any idea? Everyone says 10 seconds at 380... I have ProWorld transfers and with my smaller press worked fine. So it is not that the transfers are bad... I just cannot get the temp and time right. 10 second press time the transfer remains on the paper and doesn't even try to lay down on the shirt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For the quick answer,contact the supplier of heatpress or heat transfer paper.. they hav a formula on how doing it right.

Sent from my GT-S6310 using T-Shirt Forums

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a heat press from Amazon and had an issue burning all of my shirts around the pretreat. I bought one of the laser temp guns. The temperature on the heat press was heating up to 50 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than it was showing on the digital readout!!! No more burnt shirts for me!!

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I'm having a similar issue. I am using Jet Pro Soft Stretch and it says to do 350-375 for 20-30 seconds. I believe its burning the shirts because there is a yellowish/brown box around my image. When I decrease my press time the picture doesn't come completely off the paper but the box is less visible. Should I too increase my temp and decrease press time? I'm desperate so please HELP!!!!
JPSS

1.370 degs
2. 30 Seconds
3. High pressure, must be hard to close the heat press.
Peel hot and keep the peeling motion low and close to the tshirt, not "up and away"

You shouldn't be burning the shirts at that temp. Possible your heat press is not accurate or you have crappy shirts that have some chemical used in the manufacturing.

The "box" should only show very very slightly initially on a white 50/50 and it shouldn't be a color. It should only just be more glossy than the rest of the t-shirt and not any color.

After washing that "box" should be invisible.

Light color t-shirt you must trim or else the box will show.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts