T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have had some problems with some plastisol transfers and decided to check the platen temp with a heat gun. I found that the center of the platen was about 10 deg lower than display temp, and the edges were as much as 20 deg lower. I was wondering if this is normal or is my platen starting to go bad.

· Registered
502 Posts
Hi all,

I have had some problems with some plastisol transfers and decided to check the platen temp with a heat gun. I found that the center of the platen was about 10 deg lower than display temp, and the edges were as much as 20 deg lower. I was wondering if this is normal or is my platen starting to go bad.
Hello,
Temperature guns are not accurate with many heat platens - something to do with reflectivity factor. The temps read by my infrared gun were 20 degrees or so higher than the thermometers built in to the heat platens indicated. This was the case with both a Hix press and a Hotronics. I have a newer Geo Knight but haven't used the temp gun on that platen and compared it to the digital readout. Knight sells a very accurate temperature sensing device for about $75.
- Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.