Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you regularly verify your heat press platen temperature with
  1. an IR gun?
  2. paper thermometer strips?
  3. a pyrometer?
  4. some combination of the above?
  5. you don't bother until production problems indicate the need for service?

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Not really necessary, as you will probably notice the difference when something fails.
The accuracy of the displayed temperature may change over time, but it's unlikely to happen from one day to the other. The only exception to this is if you have one of the newer and more expensive heat presses using multiple heat elements. One element may fail and create a cold spot, so checking your temperature once per day may be a good idea.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use paper strips to establish my baseline.
I print a color chart every day. When the 'control' starts to go sideways I ALWAYS check the fundamentals first. Skip that step and you will enter interesting rabbit holes.
1. Environment Recently replaced the duct work in my facility. Made a tremendous environment change. but not so much under a 380 degree heat platen. Fluid viscosity WAS affected.
2. Nozzle check
3. Temps.
Diagnose, not react.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
you'll know when something is off after using it for awhile

ir guns will give you precision, but not accuracy
aluminum is about 0.75 emissivity, you could find your platen's specific emissivity with paper strips and your ir gun
then simply multiply your gun's reading for quick assessments

paper strips will give you both, but cost time and recurring payments

EDIT: here is a link i fund on ir guns and emissivity

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I check every time I print something temp critical, such as polyester with low temperature vinyl or sublimation. I only use an IR gun - ball park is close enough. For regular htv I don't bother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts