T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I wanted to start our own tshirt line and decided to go with plastisol transfers and a heat press to start. The question is im looking at 16x20 heat presses and discovered that in most cases(14.5 amp 120v) youll probably need a dedicated 20 amp circuit for it. Does anyone know of any name brand 16x20 heat presses that can plug into a normal household outlet? Should I be looking for 220v? Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 16x20 Mighty Press @120V. Sometimes the power will cut out if I have too many things going at
the same time. So...yes you can have a press that will plug into a 120V outlet.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Actually, from what I know of brand name presses such as Hix, Stahls' Hotronix, Insta Graphics & Geo Knight, they all plug into a regular 15 Amp outlet (or, home outlet).

It's best if you have it plugged to a dedicated outlet in your home.

AB

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The press are prety good on the 14.5 amp 120v. But now you are talking about 220v if you look at the sites that have them you will see the 2220v only pull 10 to 12 amps so you save money in the long run.I do know with 220v you will see the press heat up faster and stay at temp better then the 120v.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
We already had alot on the circuit the office is on, (office and kitchen as well :eek:) so Hubby added a dedicated heavy duty outlet (20, I think) that feeds directly to the subpanel. It's a regular outlet. If you don't have much on a circuit, it might not be a problem for you. Good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
A 120v heat press is easier to relocate around the house,
but a 220v needs less amps to operate.
Let say you get a 1800 Watts heat press

1800watts / 120v = 15 amp
1800watts / 240v = 7.5 amp

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers. I think im going to go with the 16X20 mighty press. So it should be fine to plug into a 15 amp outlet, just make sure not to have really anything plug into that circuit?

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
You'll know it if it overloaded. Ours kick off when we have the puter, printer, microwave and teapot (electric) all turned on. I couldn't see adding a press to that. :p Good luck to you. :)

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
If at all possible your press should be on a circut by itself. This will allow the press to get the proper amount of needed energy tork at it's optimal level. When I built my shop ,I put in several dedicated lines for equipment. I have been pleased when , I get all (3) heat press' on,(3) Embroidery machines,Computer,cieling fan,lights, air conditioner, and coffe maker with no electricity issues. .... JB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts