T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I have been in the business for about 8 months, and I started with a cheap Chinese heat press, that broke just about a week ago. I am looking to either buy another heat press, looking at a few that all are about $1300, or getting a Ryonet 4 color 2 Station screen printing press kit. This kit comes with basically the essentials that you need to get started in the screen printing business. I have the room, and the Ryonet kit should cost about $2000, with everything. I am looking to get some advice on which I should get, I do custom printed garments, that I usually buy plastisol transfers for. Thanks

· Registered
825 Posts
Hello everybody,

I have been in the business for about 8 months, and I started with a cheap Chinese heat press, that broke just about a week ago. I am looking to either buy another heat press, looking at a few that all are about $1300, or getting a Ryonet 4 color 2 Station screen printing press kit. This kit comes with basically the essentials that you need to get started in the screen printing business. I have the room, and the Ryonet kit should cost about $2000, with everything. I am looking to get some advice on which I should get, I do custom printed garments, that I usually buy plastisol transfers for. Thanks
Well I will jump in, #1 there is a pretty good learning curve for screen printing. If you plan on making money over nite, you might think seriously about getting your heatpress replaced. I started with a heat press, an Epson 13x19 printer for inkjet transfers and a vinyl cutter. I was making money practically overnite. I then started ordering custom plastisol transfers. 1, 2 3 color after about a year, I bought a single color press to start screen printing my on 1 color transfers. I am still learning. I then bought a 4 color ryonet silver press and after 3 months, it's still in the box. I am staying so busy with what I have that I haven't had time to set up this press. That said, I still use my heat press to cure plastisol transfers and press vinyl. Don't think you can go wrong getting your heat press replaced but get ready for some real brain stress learning the ins and outs of screenprinting. Good luck.

CalhTech>

· Registered
180 Posts
Hello everybody,

I started off with a Hix swingman 15x15 heat press about 6 years ago and haven't had one problem with it & I still currently use it for transfers and vinyl. When business picked up I purchased a 1 color press from Ryonet to learn screen print on and and speed the up the process (I was mostly using vinyl and inkjet transfers that I cut out with my vinyl cutter) I used water based inks, let them air dry then used my heat press to set the ink. I eventually upgraded to the ryonet 4color/1station silver press once I got pretty good at screen printing & eventually upgraded to plastisol ink & used a flash dryer with a poormans flash dryer to cure my shirts. I recently upgraded to a vastex press after I got a great deal on a used old school Hopkins/BMW conveyer dryer. Whith all of that being said you could buy the Hix swingman 15x15 for about $700 mabie less if you shop around. I think the swingman would be a good press for you if you don't need to print larger than that. You could probably go to ebay and make an offer on a 4 color silver press and mabie get it for under $400 (I only paid $350 for mine that way) bringing your total to $1100 and leaving $ for supplies or $ to start saving up for a flash dryer. Or you could try looking for the items used. I think this way would allow you to continue doing business & making $ while you work on your screen printing skills to help make even more $.

link for the Hix swingman:
Hix Swingman15 - 15" x 15" Swinger Heat Transfer Press

Link for Silver Press:4 Color 1 Station Silk Screen Printing Silver Press | eBay

· Registered
180 Posts
Semi-Pro 4 Color Silk Screening Kit | Silk Screening Supplies

That kit comes with a flash dryer, do you still need a heat press as well?
No, If you have a flash dryer you shouldn't need a heat press. It does take a little while to learn how to burn screens correctly especially if you are using that work light that comes with the kit though, I started out using a work light & had a lot of trouble getting the screens at that perfect time/distance ratio in the beginning, I eventually found a guy selling a yudu and I bought it & used it as my exposure unit and my troubles were over. TBT the yudu is not good for anything but an exposure unit. If I were to purchase that Kit I would go for the 18x18 flash dryer instead of the 16x16. The 18x18 would for sure cover the whole print area & you won't have some areas that cure and some that don't using a bigger flash.

· Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you think it would also be a good idea to upgrade to the exposure unit as well, if so what size would you recommend? Also, I have had some people tell me save your money for a 6 color 2 station, or 4 station, because you cannot print a 4 color print on a black shirt with white under base. Let me know what you think if possible. Thanks!

· Registered
180 Posts
Do you think it would also be a good idea to upgrade to the exposure unit as well, if so what size would you recommend? Also, I have had some people tell me save your money for a 6 color 2 station, or 4 station, because you cannot print a 4 color print on a black shirt with white under base. Let me know what you think if possible. Thanks!
The size exposure unit you should get depends on the size screens you plan to use, so if you plan on doing Oversized prints I would say go for the largest one you can afford. The biggest I use is 20x24 & that size works for me. You can get Opaque inks that work on dark garments and wouldn't have to use an under base you just print flash print. I notice that a lot of people say buy the biggest and best that you can afford but I did the exact opposite I purchased the cheapest press in the beginning just to learn on then upgraded from there. A person could spend thousands on a top press and then realize that silkscreen printing is not for them or it's something too hard to learn then they have spent all that money and have to try to resale the equipment. If you buy equipment that doesn't cost thousands you can still do the same thing as with high dollar equipment which is make $$$ and when the money gets to flowing you can then save up for the Top Notch equipment after you are sure that you really want to be in this business.

· Registered
825 Posts
For production purposes, a 2 station would be much better. You can cure a shirt while you print a second. If you are going to use a flash to cure, you will find it hard to get any rhythm if you are having to wait for the shirt to cure. Also, if you don't have multiple stations, you may find your platen getting hot may cause some ink issues for subsequent prints.
Good luck.
CalhTech>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.