T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know which piece of equipment is better to have for the curing of shirts. I was told a hover press is better because it does not actually touch the shirt. I have also read here that a heat press is better because it actually presses the ink deeper into the shirt. Can someone give me thier opinion please.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
A hover press is a heat press... just has a special option that allows you to hover the heating element above the garment for a period time to cure the top level of inks for better colors when printing with dtg printers.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
A hover press is a heat press... just has a special option that allows you to hover the heating element above the garment for a period time to cure the top level of inks for better colors when printing with dtg printers.

Just to add to Mark's answer, you will need to actually press the printed garment to finalize heat setting the ink.

Harry
Equipment Zone

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize that a hover is a heat press. I was just curious if I need to buy a heat press that has the capabilities of hovering as well as pressing to get the best finish on the shirts.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
I think it is safe to say that there are thousands of dtg owners that are curing shirts without using a hover press. Now some of this owners will manually hold the heat element above (but not touching the print) for a short time before closing the press. But I think it would be hard for any one to claim that you have to hover the heating element over the print in order to produce dtg garments. Some might argue that hovering definitely helps... but it is not required.

Mark

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am curious to know which piece of equipment is better to have for the curing of shirts. I was told a hover press is better because it does not actually touch the shirt. I have also read here that a heat press is better because it actually presses the ink deeper into the shirt. Can someone give me thier opinion please.
I often hover my press before pressing but not always. It depends on how much of a hurry I am in. I don't really think there is any noticable difference in durability either way that I can tell. (So, why do I hover?)

Now, about pressing ink deeper into the shirt. That aint the reason for pressing. In my experience the more pressure used the worse the durability of the print. Fibrilation goes berzerk with medium to heavy pressure. I use as light of pressure that my press will do and still stay closed. Try it, you'll like it!

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts