T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I recently started at a t-shirt company. I lay out the orders while others press them. There are around 7-9 presses on and working each day. We also fold the shirts, put them away, and lay them out to be printed. My concern is that the smell and the amount of dust is going to cause health Issues, not only for me, but for everyone else. Are there any harmful affects to being in the t-shirt business? One person wore a mask a couple days ago and the boss went crazy on him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 3 heat presses in a confined area. I run a hepa and odor filter unit as well as a window unit on fan mode. I have not had any noticeable health effects in the last 2 years. Hopefully there are not any hidden issues.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you perceive a problem you need to remediate BEFORE it becomes a problem. We live in a population of young and old who are not as robust as previous generations. Upgrade your ventilation and filtration until your concerns no longer exist. ANY particle inhaled can pose a health risk. If ANYONE gets sick they will look for someone other than themselves to blame and they will call in the attorneys.
Your minimal goal is to have the interior particle count to be lower than the outdoor particle count.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Your minimal goal is to have the interior particle count to be lower than the outdoor particle count.
great idea!
here is a cheap particle counter ($1200usd)

what if you live near the ocean (lots of particles from sea breezes)
what if you do your count in pollen season?
what if you have old carpets in your home?
what if you heat with a wood stove in the winter?
what if you live in a large city right downtown?

what are you basing your assertion that the indoor be lower than outdoor counts?
can you provide the peer-reviewed studies on this?

would not the $1200usd be better spent on simply installing air-purifiers/extraction fans/make-up air units?

why would make-up air units bring in outside fresh air if that is where the larger particle count is?
would that not be counter-productive?

i eagerly await your response to these queries

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know is this affects your health or not, but you better figure it out before you it gets too late.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hard to comment about health issues with no knowledge of the products being used. Get a list of those products & do your own due diligence on the net with research, possibly your concerns are unfounded & possibly not, but if you bring genuine concerns that you've researched to your employers attention, if they're worth working for they will address them.

The thing to remember is if you smell an odour at home, at work or anywhere, then whatever that chemical is that you smell it has entered your brain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts