T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But they are supplying the shirts, it's only 10 shirts.

She wants a big design on the back 1 color with her company name on the front breast pocket in same color as back.

She wants that as 6 in one color and 4 in another.

Would I just charge her the price of the screen print transfer plus upcharge labor? I have to outsource the design so I can press it.

So nervous about the first order..haha

· Registered
2,625 Posts
Congrats!

We always charge extra if customers supply shirts. I call it a "shirt handling fee" and we charge per-shirt around $1.50. We also make them sign an agreement that if a shirt is defective or doesn't meet our published specification, there is a $5 per shirt additional fee. We do this because I have lost a lot of money on customers promising shirts and then not delivering on time, or promising 100% cotton and delivering 100% polyester!

For you, just take the job, but let them know that you are not responsible for third party shirts. Sometimes people buy shirts at Walmart, and I've gotten blank shirts with anti-stain treatment on them that won't accept ink. Ahh, cheapskates.

Charge her the price of the screen print transfer (plus profit) plus the labor (plus profit).

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips and I was concerned with taking 3rd party shirts as you just don't know where they are coming from. I suppose I need to create a quote form and break it all down. Since we are new and honestly have not even been in business yet a week, I don't even have my custom order pricing down...yikes! Time to get on the ball.

ps..I asked her what the fabric was and she responded with cotton/polyester blend probably? Should I say I need to know exactly or just make her aware of the fees involved.

Also, should I charge a deposit then the rest at delivery?

Congrats!

We always charge extra if customers supply shirts. I call it a "shirt handling fee" and we charge per-shirt around $1.50. We also make them sign an agreement that if a shirt is defective or doesn't meet our published specification, there is a $5 per shirt additional fee. We do this because I have lost a lot of money on customers promising shirts and then not delivering on time, or promising 100% cotton and delivering 100% polyester!

For you, just take the job, but let them know that you are not responsible for third party shirts. Sometimes people buy shirts at Walmart, and I've gotten blank shirts with anti-stain treatment on them that won't accept ink. Ahh, cheapskates.

Charge her the price of the screen print transfer (plus profit) plus the labor (plus profit).

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also find out the colors they are giving you. You don't want to find out after you order the transfers that they only work for 4 of the shirts because of the colors the customer supplied.
It's a black button down shirt. Big imprint on the back in hot pink with hot pink name on the front breast pocket.

· Registered
3,145 Posts
I always ask the customer the reason they want to supply their own shirts. Some of them think they're going to save big bucks by doing so and some have specific shirts they bought at retail.

The latter can be risky since they may have paid $10 or more for the shirts and will expect you to be responsible for them. One error and now...Who pays for the replacement? You can tell them that your policy is not to replace misprinted shirts, but the customer won't understand why you made a mistake and they have to pay for it.

If they think they will save money, quote them the job including the shirts. Their discount for supplying their own shirts would be the quoted price minus the exact amount you would pay for the shirts (wholesale price including any discount for a sale) The markup remains yours no matter who supplies the shirts. (I know it surprises a lot of people when they learn that we are in business to make a profit...)

· Registered
10,809 Posts
Having a customer supply their own shirts would be similar to bringing your own food into a restaurant and having them cook it for you. lol Also, do you realize how much only 10 custom transfers will cost you?

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having a customer supply their own shirts would be similar to bringing your own food into a restaurant and having them cook it for you. lol Also, do you realize how much only 10 custom transfers will cost you?
Well this is a learning process for me as it's the first order and we've only been in business a week.

Would it be advisable to have a minimum qty order?

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm finding that out trying to price out button down shirts for her. The cheapest I've found so far is $15.xx :eek:

· Registered
10,809 Posts
I think it is necessary to formulate a price list and conditions of sale before you start taking orders. Everything should be in writing, and orders should be signed off by the customer so there is no "he said this and he said that". Whatever you make the minimum must be profitable for you.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it is necessary to formulate a price list and conditions of sale before you start taking orders. Everything should be in writing, and orders should be signed off by the customer so there is no "he said this and he said that". Whatever you make the minimum must be profitable for you.
I plan on having a price sheet, this just happen to come about from a friend of a friend who I asked about a design she made. Told her we heat press in convo and she asked if we could do 10, I told her I'd get her some quotes. Nothing is really set in stone yet as I see the price that I will probably charge, she won't like. But eh...Not selling ourselves short just to get our name out there.

· Registered
2,007 Posts
Nothing is really set in stone yet as I see the price that I will probably charge, she won't like. But eh...Not selling ourselves short just to get our name out there.
Customers seldom like the price we give them on such low quantities. You don't want to low ball this order and then when they need to order again you decide it is time to make a profit giving them a higher price. They'll be wondering why the increase. Give them the price you need to make a profit. Don't lose sleep over losing a 10 shirt order because the client thinks you are charging too much.

· Registered
3,145 Posts
Having a customer supply their own shirts would be similar to bringing your own food into a restaurant and having them cook it for you.
Yeah...If they really want to save money, why not let them supply their own shirts and print them themselves using your equipment.

Just being silly...but it is annoying that many people want you to make less money so they can get a cheaper price. You'll do the same amount of work either way. In fact, I've had customers supply shirts that were individually packaged with stickers and tags that need to be removed before I could print. Somehow that becomes the printer's job (for no pay...)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.