T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm a few months from launching a small high end clothing company in the UK. Here are a few steps which I have somewhat simplified for the purpose of this forum. The main questions are; have I missed anything out? Or oversimplified anything Or is something in the wrong order.

1 Initial Design
Company name, Logo Design, Graphic design of collection, layout of design
Cost: £500/$1000 Time: 2 months

2 Research
Different priniting methods, different styles of t shirt, sweaters, baseball caps etc. Contact screen printers and arrange for samples Probably october or indigo because they really professional and offers relabeling Cost; £500/£1000 Time: 1 month

3 Tags
Design and purchase sample clothing tags probably from the US I can't find any companies in the UK

4 Catalog
Mannequin hire, photography studio session, submit photos to a printing company to produce a catalog
Cost £500/$1000 Time:1 day

5 Company set up
I will probably buy this company start up packagehttp://www.eacbs.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=39&products_id=37
includes company name, accountant etc
Time 24 hours Cost £800/$1600

6 Website/Online store
submit photos to a website developer Paypal set up etc However, remain off line to official launch date hopefully before Christmas
Time 2 weeks Cost £1000/$2000

7 Stockists
Draw up some legally binding contracts then contact specific stores who match my target audience with a catalog and my already established website. I would offer the my merchandise on a sale or return basis on

8 Order Stock
Order stock from screenprinters and tags from printers
£2000/$4000

9 The launch
Launch website and deliver stock on the same day hopefully just before Christmas

Any advice, tips etc?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
7 Stockists
Draw up some legally binding contracts then contact specific stores who match my target audience with a catalog and my already established website. I would offer the my merchandise on a sale or return basis on
Are you talking about selling wholesale? You don't need "legally binding contracts". You also don't need a fancy catalog. Just a line sheet and an order form. This post from FI does a good job of explaining line sheets: Fashion-Incubator: What is a line sheet?

A signed order form is usually sufficient to get payment for an order. Even if you somehow manage to get a retailer to sign a contract, the contract is only going to be worth something if you can actually afford to sue them if they don't pay you.

Also, where's the rest of your plan after "launch"? You can't just sit there and wait for the orders to come rolling in. Where's your marketing/advertising plan? It's just as important as everything else you listed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! Any Ideas of cost effective forms of marketing/advertsing techniques or campaigns for a urban clothing company?

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Any Ideas of cost effective forms of marketing/advertsing techniques or campaigns for a urban clothing company?
There is a ton of good info here:

T-Shirt Marketing - T-Shirt Forums

I would also recommend the book "Kotler on Marketing" if you want to get a solid idea of how marketing works in general.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts