T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello Hal i just buy mine i hoppe they delivery next week, hopping the print look good in them and also i hoppe is not to complicate to set up.
Robert.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Adam do you own a cap platter? is good to now that that we can trade diferent stuff thanks.
Robert.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Robert,
You must be getting a lot of call for hats, where did you get the hat platten from? And the biggie,
have you figured out a price to sell the hats for?
thanks
\Hal

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Are you guys using the cap platen for Stitch City? I had used it for a short period, for evaluation purposes - I was really pleased with how easy it was to use, and how quickly you could load / swap caps. Given the hourly production capability, combined with the significantly lower ink consumption (compared to t-shirts), you should have plenty of room to flex on your pricing! Figure you have lower overhead (consumables and production time) on caps than you do on t-shirts (not counting the blanks for each), so take a look at what you charge for the printing service on t-shirts and adjust accordingly for your market!

Here is an old link to the post I made about cap printing:

As it turns out, hats are a lot of fun to print!

There are more pictures and video, if you follow the link to the other thread. Also, that was back in January '09, so who knows if there have been additional changes / improvements to the platen, since then.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I do have orders for hats just like the picture above the white that how must people like and to me i like to do fast the money even is just a little, because i do embroidery also but i will take me to much to embroidery a big logo, plus you can print in the visor cap, and the price i was thinking sell them for around $12 or $14 dollars since the caps they go for $1.90 dollars price white fabric covered with short touch atrap or called velcro strap.
And i buy the cap platter from stitch city i talk to Fernando and Liliana, so they help me to make a big choice because i was just thinking buy just 1 platter so i buy also the extra one for do 2 hats in at time. Also i had buy the cap heat press automatic pop up from sthals for i can cure the print.
Robert.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I get today me cap heat press for sthals:D, so i call Stich city today for my cap platter and they said they didn't ship yet to me because they didn't recived yet. I dont know if this mean they didn't have in stock, well i just hoppe i getting soon:confused:.
Robert.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello is an other day i talk to Liliana in Stich City and she told me that is been a busy day for them or for her. That is why she didnt sent yet the confirmation order from the post office that they ship to me, did any one been waiting too much for get orders from this guys? thanks
Robert.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Finaly Today i got me confirmation from Stitch City that they just ship my cap platter in the mail:D.
Robert.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry guys i just got yesterday me cap attachment from stitch city, long time but i got and this is me first print they sent to me this hats for test, thanks to Raul in Stitch city for help me with the few question.
What i think is take a little to set the hat, and from the parts they sent for attachment set up, u need take every time couple screws to change the platter from the t-shirt to the hats so i did me invention and i cut some space in the original from brother 541 for i can save time.:D i sent the pictures from the hat and the part that i modify.
Robert.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Robert, looks like the platten holds two caps at a time, is that correct? And on your print is it a little fuzzy due to the distance from the print heads you have to print at?
And have you figured out a price to sell the hats for? And who have you found to be a good supplier for the hats and what kind of hats? Sorry for so many questions, but what pops up! Looks like you are going to have some fun with this,
thanks
Hal

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had stitch city's hat platen since january(actually purchased it 12/31 so that I could get the tax right off) I've found it best if I use multimedia on the hats. For example I just finished an order for a dance team. Logo was printed on the front and bill, ink cost was 15 cents. I then added a few rhinstones, 20 cents, and then each hat had the childs name embroidered on the back. They paid $25 for each hat and I did 37. It's the mix media that sells it and you can also justify the cost. Bottom line was that each hat had to be touched 3 times. They had no problem with this. They actually sold them for $30 as a fundraiser. I figure I had under $2.50 a hat worth of materials, so thats around $93, and I received $925 for the order. It's hard to figure time which obviously costs $, but the profit margin was still extremely high. As we curred the ink on the hats the hat would stay there and cure the rhinestones. We had a nice little assembly line going. Now that was a nicegreat order and you aren't going to get those everyday, but I think again the key is multimedia, if you can, it has a higher perceived value with minimal effort. By the way I paid off my pricey hat platen in about 3 months, now it's all profit.

Kathy Mac

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello Hal.
you can find the caps from River's End or S&S the first company is in minnesota and Las Vegas also, but the second one is in Chicago, the print turn out nice it can be the picture camera that i took.
About the duel cap yes i have to buy and extra for i can print 2 caps at a time because you save more time and money.
You can sale the caps for $15 dollars just for the print on the front and bill, if you just will print on the front i will do for $13 dollars.
And to be honest with you i only like to print on white caps for you can see all the details.
Robert.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi! I've had a really hard time printing on caps with the platen. The set up takes me a lot of time and once it prints without any boo boos....the print is crooked or kind of in a concave shape.

I have to do 20 caps by this week and it been hard. What are your recomendations. Is there a brand of cap that is easier to handle? How do I get it to print a straight logo...

Do you print in C or D level?

Thanks!! And good job to those who have got the hang of it and are already making profit...!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello christina, well that is what i said to those guys in stitch city but like every ones recomendations practice, and got save one of the templates that they give to you for print in the front and in the visor.
Be honest i still been practice to center , but the harder part is making the cap so flat for dosent hit the heads that is hard to me, and the type of hats i will chose the one they are more flexibles material makes fold easy and dosent make wrinckles, or you can heat press the cap first and set in the platter that works some times.
Is more easy just print in the front then in the visor and front at the same time but is make look more nice the product.
Robert.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks! I still havent printed something that I think is well worth on quality. I mess up on the tiniest things on the caps...so if a client asks for 20 I have to order 10 more just in case a smudge happens or it does not come out straight.

Well I guess I just have to practice a lot but this means $$$ soooo....

Hope I get the hang of it fast...

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
When I was playing around with cap printing, I didn't have much issue with misprints; be sure you have your platen low enough to not become an issue when the print head is moving back and forth.... By printing in uni mode, you can get the print head further away from the substrate without losing image integrity - this will help to reduce your misprint count, since the print head shouldn't be able to reach the cap.

Part of it comes down to your ability to properly load the cap, as well; although I definitely wouldn't call it difficult, it does take some practice to understand how the clips can effect the different parts of the cap. Keep trying, and good luck!

·
Registered
244 Posts
so there IS more to do on whites?
I am saving for a machine, and my gut says dn't deal with white ink right now, but my instinct says printing on darks is a big part of business.. mind you I haven't ever done this "business" so no idea where any instinct would come from.

nice to know there alternatives.

how DO you heat set them? I have a cap press, but that works on the cap, how do you set the brim? just a second press in a regular flat press?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts