T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a private Facebook account, but I am not sure if I should open up twitter or facebook for business. Would it help my business at all?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Facebook and Twitter haven't helped me a whole lot. Of the two, Twitter has helped me more. Facebook's "fan pages" are a closed loop type system where you need to generate traffic from the outside. I found it difficult to generate traffic to my Facebook page so I eventually quit (also, I hate Facebook's privacy policies and the character of the company in general). I think Facebook wants you to take out ads to get the fans you want.

The main problem I have with these sites is the sheer amount of meaningless chatter and noise on them. It's very difficult to get noticed amongst the "what I had to eat" and "my cat is so cute" type posts. If you have a lot of time to cut through this noise, find the people who are interested in your shirts, and attempt to build relationships, it might work.

This thread has some more info:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-marketing/t109954.html

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I think any free advertising is just that, I take advantage of any free ad's. My social website pages have not generated any sales. All of my sales have been from word of mouth free but, effective. Mike

·
Registered
605 Posts
I notice alot of t-shirt sites have contests on Facebook for people to win Free t-shirts and such. I tried the contests thing on Facebook which generated some more fans but no sales from the site. I don't know how long you can do that without producing sales?

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's been my observation that unless you are targeting a highly specialized niche market, twitter and facebook are of limited value. I'm 'following' on twitter a few companies I would like to get business from and get noticed by. I figured it can't hurt. It costs nothing but a few keystrokes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
twitter hasn't helped me at all I only have 3 followers, and 2 of them are my friends.
I have a facebook page with about 220 fans but i guess they just joined for joining, you know those guys who join everything anybody suggests or whatever

Havent tried myspace

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey thanks for the posts, i appreciate it. I will check out all three; myspace, tweeter and facebook, and see what happens, although it seems like a lot of work posting stuff on all three sites...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Facebook & twitter are great ways to find, target & interact with your customers. I don't believe it's about how many fans/followers you have, I think it's about finding like minded people that make up your niche market. It's still a lot of work & takes careful planning but the ways you can leverage social media to your advantage for little or no money are seemingly limitless. Don't just try & sell people your stuff though, interact with them & provide usefull information & get creative.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Facebook and Twitter haven't helped me a whole lot. Of the two, Twitter has helped me more. Facebook's "fan pages" are a closed loop type system where you need to generate traffic from the outside. I found it difficult to generate traffic to my Facebook page so I eventually quit (also, I hate Facebook's privacy policies and the character of the company in general). I think Facebook wants you to take out ads to get the fans you want.

The main problem I have with these sites is the sheer amount of meaningless chatter and noise on them. It's very difficult to get noticed amongst the "what I had to eat" and "my cat is so cute" type posts. If you have a lot of time to cut through this noise, find the people who are interested in your shirts, and attempt to build relationships, it might work.

This thread has some more info:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/t-shirt-marketing/t109954.html
I tend to agree. I've logged on twitter and facebook to see what's up. Couldn't image how I can "cut through the noise" without wasting significant time and doubt if the fruits will be worth it. People seem to log on just to twit. On facebook, I'm flooded with farm-something requests/gifts among others.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Facebook & twitter are great ways to find, target & interact with your customers. I don't believe it's about how many fans/followers you have, I think it's about finding like minded people that make up your niche market. It's still a lot of work & takes careful planning but the ways you can leverage social media to your advantage for little or no money are seemingly limitless. Don't just try & sell people your stuff though, interact with them & provide usefull information & get creative.
I agree with this, no one is going to be interested in your business on Facebook or Twitter if they don't think you are interested in them. Interact with your followers and fans and you will see a difference!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Lots of good info. I've been trying facebook but finding that people seem to become a fan without even going to page just because it was suggested to them by one of their friends. I think my shirts are fairly priced so I can only assumed they don't want to spend the money, don't like any of the designs, or don't want to take the time to check out all that is offered.

I'm not giving up though since it isn't costing me a dime yet.

Parker

·
Registered
249 Posts
Lots of good info. I've been trying facebook but finding that people seem to become a fan without even going to page just because it was suggested to them by one of their friends. I think my shirts are fairly priced so I can only assumed they don't want to spend the money, don't like any of the designs, or don't want to take the time to check out all that is offered.

I'm not giving up though since it isn't costing me a dime yet.

Parker
Try interacting with them first, then they will be curious and probably will take a look at your page and designs. It might spark some interest. Its still free so its worth a try! =)

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a great point. It's a good way to interact with your customers OUTSIDE of doing business with them. It's a good way to build loyalty, but it won't get you many new customers.

Far too many companies are trying to use Facebook to SELL. That's all wrong. It's a networking site. You should be using it to network with people who can help grow your business or help to feed you customers. You shouldn't be friending possible customers, you should be friending people who can INTRODUCE you to possible customers. Your average Facebook user doesn't log on to be subjected to your ill conceived attempts to sell them something. They're there to interact with other individuals with similar interests or who are close to them geographically. As a business, you should be on Facebook (or better yet, LinkedIn) doing the same. Interacting with companies that have similar intrests or are close to you geographically. Twitter could be a great way to inform your customers of news involving your company, but because of the volatile nature of the posts, it hardly seems worth the effort. Instead, focus your Twitter efforts on finding your competitors, mentors, and news sources related to your business. That's where you'll see the most benefit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would have to say that Facebook and Twitter are both great tools to connect with your customers, but only if you have the ability to generate valuable information. If your company only sells tshirts, people arent constantly looking for shirts, You need to broaden yourself. Creating new ways to get interaction. I think twitter and facebook are two great unbelievable tools to get ppl involved, just how you use it. I've had great success using the two.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
great tips from everyone! ever since i started this thread i signed up for facebook (business page), so far 150 people like it, but as most of you predicted, it does not generate any sales, and that's ok, because people getting to know that my business even exists is a great start.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It can't be about generating sales. EnMart has Twitter and Facebook accounts. We are a sponsor of this forum. All those things are about making connections and expanding our brand. Sure, we're a business so we hope that some of those connections lead to sales, but it's more about making the connection. If you're on a social media site simply to sell, people will get wise to that fast. You have to interact, and you have to have something of value to offer beyond your presence. If you put in an effort, you will make connections and those connections will most likely lead to increased business. It won't happen overnight, but it is possible.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts